WHS backups RRS feed

• Question

• Few questions about WHS backup:

1- Are the backups incremental backups? For example if I schedule a nightly backup, will I only transfer the changes from the night before, or the whole thing?

2- Where do the backups go? I do not see a particular place that backups go at least in current WHS.

3- Will Vail or Aurora be any diferent in that sense. Will we see where the computer backups go in Vail or Aurora?

Thanks in advance...

B.J.

BJ
    Friday, January 21, 2011 10:28 PM

All replies

• Are you asking about WHS v1 or Vail?  Your question seems to be about v1.

Backups range between full and incremental.  In v1, see "Settings/backup" for how backups are created.  If you delete old backups but keep at least one, it will be a full backup.  The backups are stored in a folder separate from the pool, though it occupies pool space.  If you go to the WHS web site on microsoft.com, there are technical documents, including details on the backup folder, how to delete or copy it, etc.

In Vail, the backup folder is listed in the pooled folders, and duplication works on it the same as folder shares.  How it will look in the next version of Vail without DE is unknown.

Saturday, January 22, 2011 1:17 PM
  • 1- Are the backups incremental backups? For example if I schedule a nightly backup, will I only transfer the changes from the night before, or the whole thing?

To add to what 'lafos' writes:
    Effectively all WHS backups are full backups in a sense that you have a backup of all files and can do a full restore of the client.

When creating backups however WHS only writes data (actually the clusters on disk) that changed and/or do not allready exist in the backup database. So practically speeking only the first backup will be a full backup. All subsequent backups are "incremental" resulting in a new "full" backup.

The "incremental" aspect of WHS even works over multiple PC's: if you have two identical files on separte PC's the actual file data will only be in in the server backup database once. So do not be surprised if you see that the size of the WHS backup database is (much) smaller then the sum of all data on the client PC's!

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 11:40 PM