Dashboard and mstsc issue RRS feed

• Question

• My newly setup vail got me to a strange problem. To begin with I had installed APC UPS Software, BitTorrent, Squeezebox Server and CrashPlan on the server. Lastly I had installed iTunes+Bonjour and Air Video Server so that I will be able to stream my videos to the iPad. So far it looked fine.

Suddenly, my Desktop PC started reporting launchpad trouble. It wasn't able to get connected to the server. I wanted to check if the problem is with server or my PC. Decided to fire mstsc and connect to the server and surprised (I can't connect anymore). Went back to the server console and there also the dash won't start.

Then decided to uninstall Air Video and bigger surprise. The uninstall won't work. The installer displays the first screen endlessly. It says "Preparing to install".

From there, I went clueless on what could be the problem. In the meantime, the server started reporting more anomalies. The network status never gets updated or reports no network access. But I am able to perfectly access Internet.

Does someone encountered it before. Am I suppose to reformat the machine? Is there no other option?

Saturday, November 6, 2010 5:38 AM

Answers

• My recommendations:

1. Don't expect me to be up at 2:00 AM to answer your questions. If I'm up and posting, great. Otherwise have a bit of patience.
    2. Flatten your server and start over, because all the stuff you piled on has probably caused your issues. Add things one at a time and test thoroughly. Also realize that the addition of anything from the server desktop is technically unsupported. End users aren't expected to use the server desktop (either via physical keyboard, video, mouse or via Remote Desktop) for server interaction; that's what the dashboard is for.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 2:12 PM
  • My problem is solved. Thanks to all for the replies.

The net.tcp service needed to be added as a dependency for windows registry provider service.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 3:30 PM

All replies

• Hey Ken,

Are you not reading my thread? Any suggestions on what should be tried?

Vasu

Saturday, November 6, 2010 6:10 AM
  • On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 06:10:18 +0000, Vasu Inukollu wrote:

Hey Ken,

Are you not reading my thread? Any suggestions on what should be tried?

You do understand that Ken, as an MVP, is a volunteer and is not paid by
    Microsoft to provide support here?
    Expecting a response from anyone here in less than an hour is a ridiculous
    expectation.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca

Saturday, November 6, 2010 6:47 AM
  • My recommendations:

1. Don't expect me to be up at 2:00 AM to answer your questions. If I'm up and posting, great. Otherwise have a bit of patience.
    2. Flatten your server and start over, because all the stuff you piled on has probably caused your issues. Add things one at a time and test thoroughly. Also realize that the addition of anything from the server desktop is technically unsupported. End users aren't expected to use the server desktop (either via physical keyboard, video, mouse or via Remote Desktop) for server interaction; that's what the dashboard is for.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 2:12 PM
  • Hi Paul,

There is no expectation from anybody, including Ken. I read a lot of posts where he replies.

When I was posting the question, I saw his name on the recent users list. Just thought of checking if he had a chance to see my post.

Thanks to both you and Ken.

Bye

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 6:03 PM
  • My problem is solved. Thanks to all for the replies.

The net.tcp service needed to be added as a dependency for windows registry provider service.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 3:30 PM