Adding a 2nd USB 2.0 drive to my WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2nd USB drive that I am considering adding to my WHS.  I read the following in a Microsoft white paper:

"USB 2.0 works best with one drive per controller. Performance suffers if multiple hard drives are connected to a single USB 2.0 controller. Using hubs to connect multiple USB drives to a single controller has a negative impact on system performance and is not recommended."

How can I tell how many USB controllers there are on my WHS motherboard?  I've checked the owner’s manual and was unable to locate any information on how many controllers there are.  The Motherboard is a MSI KT4A-V.

Thanks for any help that you can provide. 

Saturday, December 8, 2007 1:29 AM

Answers

• The general rule of thumb (although not an absolute) is that you’ve got one controller or hub per set of ports.

Taking a quick look at a picture of the back of your board, my guess would be that you’d be safe plugging in the second drive into the second set of ports that you don’t already have a HD plugged into.

Saturday, December 8, 2007 2:01 AM

All replies

• The general rule of thumb (although not an absolute) is that you’ve got one controller or hub per set of ports.

Taking a quick look at a picture of the back of your board, my guess would be that you’d be safe plugging in the second drive into the second set of ports that you don’t already have a HD plugged into.

Saturday, December 8, 2007 2:01 AM
  • Hi,

To confirm it, right click on My Computer, after RDP into the Server, and select Properties-Hardware. This will list your host controllers and the types.

Colin

Saturday, December 8, 2007 4:02 PM
  • My server is down right now.  Power supply went on it.

When I get the new one installed in a couple of days, I'll get the information and post it here.  The way it is displayed in device  list is a little interesting.  It gives the impression that there are 5 host controllers, but if I remember correctly it says something about them being virtual.  To me, that seems to imply that there is only one controller and the 5 virtuals are pretending to be controllers in software but there is really only one actual hardware controller.

As soon as the macine is up and running again, I'll post the exact verbiage in case someone in the forums will know for sure and can reply.

Thanks for all of the help so far.  I really appreciate it.
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:11 AM