Unable to access my company's network with webpass with the firewall active RRS feed

• Question

• I have a logon to my company's network using webpass, but I can't make a successfull connection while the firewall is active. If I stop the firewall I can successfully connect.

The problem occure when attempting the VPN connection in webpass.

The Error messahe I get is:

Status:  The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error.

I can't see what changes I need to make to the firewall settings.

Regards
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:31 AM

Answers

• Have you allowed VPN in the firewall advanced settings? Change Settings>Firewall>Advanced Settings>Ports and Protocols>Virtual Private Network.
    Jim
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:03 AM

All replies

• Have you allowed VPN in the firewall advanced settings? Change Settings>Firewall>Advanced Settings>Ports and Protocols>Virtual Private Network.
    Jim
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Some VPN software just won't work even if you make that change to the advanced OneCare firewall settings due to the way that the VPN software and the firewall interact with the network. I would try Jim's recommendation first. If that does not resolve it, then either contact support or turn off the firewall when you need to use the VPN connection.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 2:51 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Yes I have allowed Virtual Private Network in the advanced settings. I did report a support call but I do not have a resolution so I am currently truning off the firewall when I use the VPN connection.

Regards

Dave
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 11:38 PM
  • If you are able to come to a solution from support, please do update us.
    Thanks,

-steve
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Hi Steve,

No I still do not have an answer.  I still have to turn off the OneCare Firewall to use webpass and then turn it on again after I have finished.

Regards

Dave
    Monday, March 9, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Have you been in contact with support? What is the status of your support case?
    -steve
    Monday, March 9, 2009 7:08 PM
  • I have seen the same issue, where I have a vpn server setup on vista business, and try to connect to it using XP built-in vpn client. If I turned off the onecare firewall on the vista, everything works fine. And I have make sure the vpn option in the advanced settings are checked.  How do I open a support case by the way?
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 7:21 PM
  • pandaj said:

I have seen the same issue, where I have a vpn server setup on vista business, and try to connect to it using XP built-in vpn client. If I turned off the onecare firewall on the vista, everything works fine. And I have make sure the vpn option in the advanced settings are checked.  How do I open a support case by the way?

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Monday, March 16, 2009 4:33 PM