WHS Backup RRS feed

• Question

• In troubleshooting my backup failure I seem to remember reading somewhere in my travels that homes server need to be connected directly to the router rather than a switch that is connected to the router.  Is this true?  I originally had it connected to my router and the backup worked fine, but when I connected it to my switch it will not backup.  I can log into the server without issue, but no backup occurs.

Thanks..............

Monday, November 22, 2010 8:40 PM

All replies

• In troubleshooting my backup failure I seem to remember reading somewhere in my travels that homes server need to be connected directly to the router rather than a switch that is connected to the router. Is this true? I originally had it connected to my router and the backup worked fine, but when I connected it to my switch it will not backup. I can log into the server without issue, but no backup occurs.
    My workstation and my WHS (in a virtual machine) are both connected to a switch, and teh backup works fine.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, November 22, 2010 10:18 PM
  • There is no problem connecting WHS to a switch instead of the router directly. So troubleshooting non appearing backups would start at attempting a manual backup. Would this run?

If not, what is the error you get? Check also the clients event log.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 10:41 AM