Money 2005 Back Ups RRS feed

• Question

• Somewhile back I had a hard drive crash.  Decided it was time to replace the PC and reload as required.  I found that installing MS Money 2005 or even earlier versions that it would not accept the floppy back up disks which I had regularly backed up each month (4 disks each month) Kept coming up with an error message stating 'not genuine money files' or 'disk is corrupted' usually when loading the 4th disk.  Consequently I lost all previous data and had to restore data manually from old statments etc.

I still have all the disks and historical data but no means of loading it.  Any ideas?

• Changed type stanlob Friday, July 23, 2010 3:30 PM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 3:24 PM

All replies

• You need to open Money (open the sample file, say) and do an Internet Update.

There are two Money 2005 file formats. The newer one (written by any M05 with the updates) cannot be read by the un-updated app.

AND YOU NEED TO TAKE STEPS SOON to avoid this problem should you reinstall after, say, January 2011. The necessary updates will be going away and, if you aren't protected, this will be an unrecoverable situation if you want to keep using M05.

The steps have probably been documented in other threads here and were surely document in the (killed by Microsoft and dying otherwise) microsoft.public.money newsgroup. Another path is to upgrade to the "Sunset" edition--if you are a US user.

Saturday, July 24, 2010 12:39 AM