Restore Backup to Virtual PC RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone tried taking an image backup of a workstation stored on WHS and restoring it to Virtual PC. Theoretically it should be no problem but I was just wondering if anyone has tried it yet. 

I was thinking that this could be a handy way to retire an old machine or to just take a point in time snapshot.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:44 PM

Answers

• You will need to create a virtual HD that is at least as large as the physical drive that was backed up. And due to the way that Home Computer Backup works, it's likely that you will use the full size of the disk.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Mike Ceranski Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:42 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Hi Mike,
    I would not say, no problems. The restore process itself works fine, if you get the network drivers added (Virtual PC did work well, for VMWare I had to get drivers first from an original VM.  Real problems result usually from the fact, that the restored system will not boot. Different processor architecture (often single CPU vs. Multi Core), different mass storage drivers and so on. So the outcome may be an unbootable VHD. For XP you could at least try a repair installation (use a slipstreamed CD with SP3 in this case to reduce potential hassles with product activation).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:29 PM
  • If any of the partitions of the PC you want to restore is larger then 127GB you will not be able to restore them to a Virtual PC VHD.
    • Marked as answer by Mike Ceranski Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:43 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:32 AM

All replies

• You will need to create a virtual HD that is at least as large as the physical drive that was backed up. And due to the way that Home Computer Backup works, it's likely that you will use the full size of the disk.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:24 PM
  • The hard drive space should not be an issue.

Do you know if the restore software does any verification that you are restoring back to the same physical machine. I know there are probably some licensing implications.

• Unmarked as answer by Mike Ceranski Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:42 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Hi Mike,
    I would not say, no problems. The restore process itself works fine, if you get the network drivers added (Virtual PC did work well, for VMWare I had to get drivers first from an original VM.  Real problems result usually from the fact, that the restored system will not boot. Different processor architecture (often single CPU vs. Multi Core), different mass storage drivers and so on. So the outcome may be an unbootable VHD. For XP you could at least try a repair installation (use a slipstreamed CD with SP3 in this case to reduce potential hassles with product activation).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:29 PM
  • If any of the partitions of the PC you want to restore is larger then 127GB you will not be able to restore them to a Virtual PC VHD.
    • Marked as answer by Mike Ceranski Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:43 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:32 AM
  • Thanks for the tips. I had a feeling that there would be a few roadblocks. I will have to experiment with it a little bit to see if I can nail down a solution. In any case at least I know a few of the constraints now.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:13 AM