WHS Acer EasyStore Can Not Connect to Sever for Setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been bashing my head against the wall for a week now trying to get this server to work with no luck at all. I have two windows 7 pcs that I have been trying to connect to the server but I have yet to be able to set it up.

The server is on, all lights seem to be right, its gotten a ip from my pos verzion router(192.168.1.7). If I use any of the connecting software I can find it never finds the server. If I use the system restore disc to put whs back on the acer it finds the server no problem.

I can ping 192.168.1.7 but I was never able to ping ASPIREHOME, I have edited my host file to tell it that aspirehome is 192.168.1.7 and of course I can now ping the name but I am still unable to connect to it in any manner. I can not get to http://192.168.1.7:55000 or by name, I assume this is because the server has never been setup its got no username no pass since I have yet to be able to set it up.

My router has UPnP turned on, and I have forwarded ports 80, 443, 3389, and 4125 also yes all computers are on the same 192.168.1.x subnet, and the acer easystore is a headless system so I have no way to set it up without the connection software. I am truly at a loss here.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:30 AM

Answers

• I don't believe it....

I was down to the very last thing I could think of which might be stopping me and that's whats let me into the system!

Story:

When I first got the server Acer forgot to send me a disc which I thought I had to have. They were going to mail me one over the next week or two. During this time I had the idea to make a live unbuntu usb key just to test the waters. I found out online that I had to put a jumper on the board to unlock the bios to allow it to boot from usb. I placed the jumper, used screen caps from other users to set it to boot from usb. I left that jumper on the board since all it did was unlock the bios. Turns out it didn't just unlock the bios! It locked the whole damn computer from ever getting past the bios. Which i have never seen in my life.

Out of desperation I opened it up and pulled the jumper off since it was the last thing I could think of. Turned the server back on and the damn thing boots to the OS for the first time. The connector finds it, it works on port 55000, all the sudden it works fine. It seems I was never actually getting WHS to load as my little headless box kept booting into some weird bios limbo.
    • Marked as answer by B33rNuts Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:41 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:41 AM

All replies

• Can you Remote Desktop to it?

What do you mean by "If I use any of the connecting software I can find it never finds the server." Have you run the Home Server Connector install from the Software share on WHS?
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:44 AM
  • its never been setup so I can't remote into it. Its got no user/pass since ive never been able to find it with the whs connector software. I have been running the connector software that came on the cds that I have since I can not access the server on port 55000 or the /Software folder to download the software from the server its self. Once again I am assuming this problem exists since the first setup has never been done.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:56 AM
  • I have only ever built my own WHS so have no knowledge of your ASUS but surely there must be an Administrator account set up when the software was installed by the manufacturer? In which case you should be able to remote to it with that account.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:03 AM
  • I am having the same issue with my Acer device as well.  Can connect to the server using a mapped network drive or opening exploring and typing either of the following: \\192.168.0.163 or \\homesvrname  but when I try to connect using remote desktop connection or the home server connection it will not connect.  The windows home server background appears but the log in box never appears for me to enter my username and password.  The system will not back up any of my clients either. 

I know I have everything configuired correctly because everything worked great for a about 5 months.  This happened after I ran a Windows Update on the box. 

Any ideas??
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:22 AM
  • I don't believe it....

I was down to the very last thing I could think of which might be stopping me and that's whats let me into the system!

Story:

When I first got the server Acer forgot to send me a disc which I thought I had to have. They were going to mail me one over the next week or two. During this time I had the idea to make a live unbuntu usb key just to test the waters. I found out online that I had to put a jumper on the board to unlock the bios to allow it to boot from usb. I placed the jumper, used screen caps from other users to set it to boot from usb. I left that jumper on the board since all it did was unlock the bios. Turns out it didn't just unlock the bios! It locked the whole damn computer from ever getting past the bios. Which i have never seen in my life.

Out of desperation I opened it up and pulled the jumper off since it was the last thing I could think of. Turned the server back on and the damn thing boots to the OS for the first time. The connector finds it, it works on port 55000, all the sudden it works fine. It seems I was never actually getting WHS to load as my little headless box kept booting into some weird bios limbo.
    • Marked as answer by B33rNuts Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:41 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:41 AM