No mediation server necessary in R2? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm afraid I cannot dig out the link right now but on reading up on R2 last week I came across one article that seemed to hint that if you use a PBX / SIP Trunk that meets the interop criteria, you could effectively do without a mediation server when using OCS R2 (in cases where the network is good enough to support G.711). That seemed somewhat strange to me seeing that MOC uses RTAudio and all, but since the supported codec list lists many standard codecs I figured maybe not.

So I'm wondering.. can I get rid of the mediation server if I'm willing to go G.711? Currently my R2 mediation server connects to my CCM7 (same for the R1 Mediation server) since our Alcatel PBX still won't play nice with the + even though it's R9.. but that seems an issue on the Alcatel side since CCM never complains. But bypassing the Mediation sure would come in handy and cut down on latency. So, if it is possible, what would I need to configure?

Regards
    Stephan
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 10:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Stephan,

Yes you still need a mediation server for interop to CUCM 7.0 in R2 and most other IP-PBX's. The only integration that I know of that doesnt require the use of a mediation server is to Tandberg VCS using SIP from the front end servers. The mediation R2 does allow passing of G711 from memory to clients which increase its call capacity. I am a bit lite on the details of that though.

Sorry for the bad news.

Cheers
    Chris
    Chris http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/
    • Proposed as answer by VoIPnorm Saturday, February 7, 2009 7:42 PM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 3:34 PM