Subscription RRS feed

• Question

• How will the new Beta effect my current OneCare Subscription
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:33 AM

Answers

• If you uninstall your activated copy of OneCare, the subscription is still active. If you choose to install the 2.0 beta, you will not activate it. At the end of the beta, you will need to uninstall the beta to go back to your subscription.

What that means is if there are 3 months left to your subscription and you only have one PC, your subscription will lapse while you are using version2 beta (assuming that the beta is ongoing for 3 months).

-steve

Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:42 AM

All replies

• When the beta is over current subscribers will be upgraded.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:36 AM
  • If you uninstall your activated copy of OneCare, the subscription is still active. If you choose to install the 2.0 beta, you will not activate it. At the end of the beta, you will need to uninstall the beta to go back to your subscription.

What that means is if there are 3 months left to your subscription and you only have one PC, your subscription will lapse while you are using version2 beta (assuming that the beta is ongoing for 3 months).

-steve

Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:42 AM
  • Just to clarify...

I've downloaded and installed the beta. I've got an "activate" button inside OneCare, however I cannot activate it because I don't have a product ID (I think this is because OneCare subscriptions are associated with you Live ID).

Am I right in saying that because it's a beta I don't have to activate it, and if not, will I be able to activate it once the beta finishes?

And will I need a product key then?

Thanks,

Alasdair Mackenzie

Thursday, July 12, 2007 4:19 PM
  • That is correct. Once the beta is over you can purchase a subscription and activate. It will run in trial mode just fine.

-steve

Friday, July 13, 2007 10:45 PM
  • Thanks
    Friday, July 13, 2007 10:46 PM
  • I am a little bit confused about this one, sorry.. I uninstalled my OneCare and installed the Beta 2.0. I was a sibscriber as well as a beta tester for OneCare before it's initial release. When I open OneCare 2.0 it says Subscribe. When I click it it asks for my Live account and then says it looks like I need a subscription. Am I going to have to pay again or is there something I can do? The OneCare page gave me this information:

No available plans

We're sorry; there are no plans available. This can happen for one of the following reasons:

• You currently have this plan or a similar plan.
    • You have previously purchased this plan.
    • This plan is not available in your Country or Region.

The following plan(s) are currently, or were previously, associated with your e-mail address, defiancexr@hotmail.com
    • Windows Live OneCare ( purchased 24/01/2007,  Subscription status: enabled )

For technical support, please contact Windows Live support at http://support.live.com. If you get this message more than once, report it as a recurring problem.
    Message 3010

Thanks for any help, I hope this is the correct thread to ask this.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 5:34 AM
  • Do not activate the 2.0 beta unless you were sent an email with a special activation key to test. See this FAQ - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1848280&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 3:40 PM
  • I am trying Ver 2 beta - it installed fine and sems to work well. I will try it on the laptop after seeing how it behaves on the desktop. Now I can get at hre start programmes!

It would be nice if Microsoft gave us  subs extension for testing it!

There does not seem to be an activation button on mine but I think it knew I had paid for the earlier version

Magazines are still giving it bad reviews - I e-mailed one of them asking why  and they replied to say when testing it was letting viruses in, but I have never had one and I think they must test it in a not real world way.

Friday, August 24, 2007 7:20 PM
  • Hi, Ray.

I'm not sure why you don't have an activation button for the 2.0 beta. It is okay, though, as long as you show the countdown to expiration for a fairly long time from now. Your 1.6 subscription and 2.0 beta are completely unique to each other as they talk to a different back end environment.

-steve

Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:32 AM