none
What are Appropriate Non-Technical Responses from Forum Users? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

As I have become more active in a sub-set of the forums here (SharePoint), the more I see things where I want to provide a non-technical response. These are mainly posts that are in the wrong place, or the same question being asked twice by the same person.

What is appropriate behavior for forum users in this regard? Is it OK to reply with guidance about the proper forum that should be used or point out duplicate posts?

I welcome the chance to save everyone some time and make life easier for the Moderators, but I don't want to get in the way either.

Thanks and best wishes,

Eric

Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:39 PM

Answers

• > Especially if the post is in the wrong forum, you may know better than a moderator. The moderator could use your information to move the thread. As a moderator, I know I wouldn't mind such a post..

Speaking as one of the Moderators in the SharePoint forums where the OP has noticed these problems, I'm in agreement with this reply.

The key things are

- make sure you read the guidelines in the pre-SP 2010 General and Admin forums as to which pre-SP 2010 forum is for which question (so that you are not saying someone is in the wrong place based on your faulty interpretation of the forum name)

- use the Abusive button to mark threads that have moved to off-topic part-way through as this change would otherwise typically not be seen by a Moderator who wouldn't look at most threads once they have been initially "processed".   (Use this mainly for the wrong set of forums rather than the wrong forum in the correct set)

Here note

a) I have asked specifically for such abusive markings for off-topic SP 2010 posts in the development forum and am happy for such markings in all pre-SP 2010 forums [I asked in the development forum because that's where I am less able to myself identify a post that must be SP 2010 even if it doesn't say so]

b) Don't overdo it. If the original post in a thread says SP 2010 in the Title I will know it's off-topic and won't need the abusive mark.

c) At the moment it's impossible to give a reason for the abusive mark - if it's likely to be unclear add in addition a reply in the thread. [Note to Brent: please bring back being able to add a reason]

- don't put your text saying that something is off-topic in words that would normally come from a Moderator. From you they are information not instructions and are help for the Moderator.  Don't offend the other posters by sounding like a Moderator!

My favourite poster writes a post that says something like "marking this post for a response once it has been moved to a SP 2010 forum by the Moderator". This gives me the info that the post is off-topic while NOT replying to the off-topic post while it is in the wrong set of forums.

There's probably more on this, but that's what comes to mind immediately.

P.S. Just seen the point about duplicate posts. Yes, please do point out duplicate posts. I am always very eager to both remove duplicate threads and tell the poster of duplicate threads not to do it again. I usually spot duplicate threads posted within say an hour of each other but sometimes the titles have been made completely different and so I miss them. If a user sees a duplicate thread I probably either was asleep when it was posted or I missed it. So by all means point it out - note though that if I've already read the thread where you say it's a duplicate I won't usually see your post. So if this is a really bad duplicate mark something in thread as abusive (here there's a particularly great need for the ability to add the explanation "duplicate"!)

Later: None of the above applies to the SharePoint - Knowledge Network forum which is only in MSDN; is for a function that never made it into the released MOSS 2007 product (and which [the forum] should therefore have been deleted years ago); and where I am not a Moderator.  [This section added when I noticed the OP had posted to that forum when looking at a list of all the SP forums and seeing his name as the last poster there - I do not ever read the threads in that forum as it shouldn't be there!]

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspxhere
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, July 23, 2011 1:44 PM Later: added
    • Marked as answer by BosEdison Sunday, July 24, 2011 8:40 PM
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 6:58 AM

All replies

• Ask to become a moderator to be able to fix the problems or find a contact with active moderator and e-mail the problems. The first will be much easier, but the later is what I'm doing as I don't have Moderator's rights.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:22 PM
  • Thank you Naomi. I would like to leave this post open a little while, and see if there are any other replies.

Eric

Friday, July 22, 2011 2:28 PM
  • Especially if the post is in the wrong forum, you may know better than a moderator. The moderator could use your information to move the thread. As a moderator, I know I wouldn't mind such a post.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
    Friday, July 22, 2011 2:48 PM
  • > Especially if the post is in the wrong forum, you may know better than a moderator. The moderator could use your information to move the thread. As a moderator, I know I wouldn't mind such a post..

Speaking as one of the Moderators in the SharePoint forums where the OP has noticed these problems, I'm in agreement with this reply.

The key things are

- make sure you read the guidelines in the pre-SP 2010 General and Admin forums as to which pre-SP 2010 forum is for which question (so that you are not saying someone is in the wrong place based on your faulty interpretation of the forum name)

- use the Abusive button to mark threads that have moved to off-topic part-way through as this change would otherwise typically not be seen by a Moderator who wouldn't look at most threads once they have been initially "processed".   (Use this mainly for the wrong set of forums rather than the wrong forum in the correct set)

Here note

a) I have asked specifically for such abusive markings for off-topic SP 2010 posts in the development forum and am happy for such markings in all pre-SP 2010 forums [I asked in the development forum because that's where I am less able to myself identify a post that must be SP 2010 even if it doesn't say so]

b) Don't overdo it. If the original post in a thread says SP 2010 in the Title I will know it's off-topic and won't need the abusive mark.

c) At the moment it's impossible to give a reason for the abusive mark - if it's likely to be unclear add in addition a reply in the thread. [Note to Brent: please bring back being able to add a reason]

- don't put your text saying that something is off-topic in words that would normally come from a Moderator. From you they are information not instructions and are help for the Moderator.  Don't offend the other posters by sounding like a Moderator!

My favourite poster writes a post that says something like "marking this post for a response once it has been moved to a SP 2010 forum by the Moderator". This gives me the info that the post is off-topic while NOT replying to the off-topic post while it is in the wrong set of forums.

There's probably more on this, but that's what comes to mind immediately.

P.S. Just seen the point about duplicate posts. Yes, please do point out duplicate posts. I am always very eager to both remove duplicate threads and tell the poster of duplicate threads not to do it again. I usually spot duplicate threads posted within say an hour of each other but sometimes the titles have been made completely different and so I miss them. If a user sees a duplicate thread I probably either was asleep when it was posted or I missed it. So by all means point it out - note though that if I've already read the thread where you say it's a duplicate I won't usually see your post. So if this is a really bad duplicate mark something in thread as abusive (here there's a particularly great need for the ability to add the explanation "duplicate"!)

Later: None of the above applies to the SharePoint - Knowledge Network forum which is only in MSDN; is for a function that never made it into the released MOSS 2007 product (and which [the forum] should therefore have been deleted years ago); and where I am not a Moderator.  [This section added when I noticed the OP had posted to that forum when looking at a list of all the SP forums and seeing his name as the last poster there - I do not ever read the threads in that forum as it shouldn't be there!]

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspxhere
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, July 23, 2011 1:44 PM Later: added
    • Marked as answer by BosEdison Sunday, July 24, 2011 8:40 PM
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 6:58 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you for the detailed response. It is very instructive. As the primary Moderator dealing with these issues in the Pre-SP 2010 forums, I appreciate your commitment. Hopefully I can be of some help.

Best wishes,

Eric

Sunday, July 24, 2011 8:40 PM