Activation loop RRS feed

• Question

• Please Help,

It all  started when I moved my computer to another room.

I needed to connect it to the Wireless LAN instead of the direct cable connection from the onboard network card.

after setting up the machine with the WLAN installed it worked great but when I exited my account and logged in again it said the hardware configuration changed and I needed to re-activate windows within the next 1 day.

OK I thought, if it says so than it must know what it's talking about... I pressed OK to activate, it said "windows is already activated" and continued to work normally.

I actualy also installed ActiveSync for my new Pocket-PC (which also connects to the WLAN) but I dont think it was before the above scenario took place...

This was yesterday,

Today I got a message saying windows needed to be activated (not connected to HW issues, just like that), and when I accept re-activation I once more get an "already active" message.

but now it throws me out of windows back to the login screen.

If I try to login again the process loops again...

I can't manage to get inside windows, reverting to the last known good configuration didn't help. renaming wgalogon.dll through the recovery console didn't change anything. disconnecting the WLAN didn't do anything.

I can't run the diagnostic tool since I don't have access to the gui.

I cant access my files through the other computer on the home network since I don't have a share name for my C drive.

What should I do for at least to backup my files before anything else?

How do I solve this problem?

Helpppppp!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 11:21 PM

Answers

• Eran:

Running the diagnostics tool won't really provide any information - as the issue seems related to core files for Product Activation that may be corrupt. I highly suggest backing up your software and using a REPAIR reinstallation to keep your core settings. Its very likely there may be bad hardware sectors and such that are causing the mis-read of Windows Activation.

-phil

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 7:25 AM

All replies

• Eran:

Running the diagnostics tool won't really provide any information - as the issue seems related to core files for Product Activation that may be corrupt. I highly suggest backing up your software and using a REPAIR reinstallation to keep your core settings. Its very likely there may be bad hardware sectors and such that are causing the mis-read of Windows Activation.

-phil

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 7:25 AM
  • Phil,

Thanks, for your reply.

How can I backup my software if I don't have access to the entire disk through the LAN?

I know that in NT there was a possibility to map a drive as C$ or something, is there a way to do so in XP?

How do I perform a REPAIR reinstallation? will I lose data when reinstalling?

Thanks again,

Eran

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 12:39 PM