Getting ready to transition but have questions.... RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am planning on switching to MSE soon but wanted to ask the mods and others what you will be using that will take place of the functionality that OneCare provided that MSE does not.
    (Like Tune-up and back up)...will you be using another free software?

All thoughts are appreciated.  Thank you.
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 4:15 AM

All replies

• Most of the functionality of One Care tune up already exists in Windows (Disc Cleanup, Disc Defragmenter) and can be configured to run as scheduled tasks. For backup, Windows Backup is adequate but my personal preference is Acronis True Image (not free).
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 12:52 PM
  • Thanks Jim1 for your feedback.

I look forward to hearing what Stephen Boots responds with.
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 1:05 PM
  • Since Steve won't likely see this until Monday I'll add my two cents now.

Since I only require backup, primarily photos stored on the PC my sister and nephews use, I'll be using one of the online services that provide this either free or for a nominal monthly fee.  This will also allow me to completely automate the backup through their (768Kbps) broadband connection and has the added benefit of preserving the files offsite, so even if the house were destroyed the pictures should be safe.

Your own direction should be dictated by your personal need for backup, not what product we might use.  Though you can look to us for possible suggestions you should really first determine what kind of data and how much you will need to backup.  Then determine if you'd prefer that to remain local in your own home or if it might be better offsite in case of a catastrophe that might also destroy the backup.  Also, how automated do you wish this to be or are you willing to sit there and swap a CD if required?

There's no one right answer, which is part of why OneCare failed, since it was a bit limiting but better than nothing which is all too common.

Rob

Saturday, October 3, 2009 11:10 PM
  • Rob,

Thanks for the reply.  I am not looking for an offsite backup solution, just backup on an external hard drive.  Just looking for services that people feel is beneficial to them.

Peter
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 2:25 AM
  • Just my copper on the matter... I use the Safety Scanner's Cleanup and Tuneup. For backup I use Windows 7's Backup and Restore, which is so far as reliable as it should be.
    Crimson Spectrum at http://aiscer.spaces.live.com
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 3:39 AM
  • Hello, Peter.
    Others have already given pretty much the same advice as me.
    I am content to use the Windows built in tools for Defrag and Cleanup as needed.
    I never used backup in OneCare except for testing. I am using Windows Home Server to perform a nightly backup of multiple PCs and recommend that highly, though it is an expensive solution and certainly overkill for a single PC user. Acronis is also an excellent solution which I have used in the past.
    I'll suggest a free alternative for you, though it is a bit more work. Download and install Microsoft's free SyncToy.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

You can configure "pairs" with the source data on one side and the destination being a folder on the external drive.
    For example, configure the left side to be your Documents folder and make a Documents folder on the external drive.
    Repeat configuring pairs as desired with a copy of the folders you wish to backup to the external drive.
    Make the pairs be set as Echo left to right.
    In the simplest form, once the pairs have been configured, you can run each pair individually or all at once. It will scan your source folders for new or changed files and copy them over to the external drive. The external drive copy is exactly the same as the local PC copy, with no compression and the files can be accessed via Windows Explorer.
    You can also set up a Task in Task Scheduler to run the Sync for you.
    Where this fails, though, is if your delete a file from the PC or it becomes corrupt. When you then run the Sync, it will delete the file from the external drive or copy the corrupt one over. So, it is an imperfect solution, albeit free. :-)
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, October 5, 2009 12:19 AM