Asus HDP-R1 log-in issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using an Asus HDP-R1 with an HP MediaSmart Server for a couple of years, working beautifully. I added a WHS 2011 to my network and can connect from all of my home PCs, but I get a 'Login Fail' from the HDP-R1. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:34 PM

All replies

• If your device supports DLNA (you will have to consult the documentation or the manufacturer for information about this), then it should work for files/codecs that Windows Home Server and your device both support, or codecs taht Windows Home Server can transcode for you on the fly. If it doesn't, make sure the Guest account on the server is active and has at least Read permission to all your media shares.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 19, 2011 2:11 PM
  • The HDP-R1 supports the codecs of all video I have stored on the server. The issue is that the device is unable to login to view thoses videos. Guest account is active with 'read' permissions. I tried logging in with greater permission credentials, and even Administrator, but to no avail.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 2:17 PM
  • I would see if the documentation for your media player (or Asus tech support) can give any insight into possible causes for the error you're seeing. Also, are you certain your player is connecting to your server when you see the error you mention? You've told the player to forget any previous credentials, and provided new credentials for your new server?

Some other general debugging steps you might take:

• Try connecting a computer (laptop, netbook, etc.) to the connection the player uses to test access, to see if there might be a network issue of some sort.
    • If your player is wired, you could try plugging it in to a different port on your switch (if you have one) or router
    • If wireless, you could try rebooting your router or wireless access point.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Great suggestions. The HDP-R1 is wired vis a switch. I have several servers in my domain including Linux, Mac, and Windows and the HDP-R1 allows me to choose which to connect to at startup. I can successfully log in to all (one at a time) except for the WHS 2011. Regardless of the login credentials I use the HDP-R1 returns a 'Login Fail' error. I contacted Asus and they did not know the answer.

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:38 PM
  • I replaced the Asus HDP-R1 with the Sony SMP-N100 Streaming Player and my system is once again working beautifully. The Sony plays all of the videos stored on my WHS 2011 machine without a hitch. You can expect to see the Asus on ebay soon.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 2:08 PM
  • On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 14:08:58 +0000, CliffPort wrote:

I replaced the Asus HDP-R1 with the Sony SMP-N100 Streaming Player and my system is once again working beautifully. The Sony plays all of the videos stored on my WHS 2011 machine without a hitch. You can expect to see the Asus on ebay soon.

FWIW I have the same Asus device and it works fine with my WHS 2011 server.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Bubble memory:  A derogatory term, usually referring to a person's
    intelligence. See also "vacuum tube."

Friday, September 23, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Did you have any issues loging on to your WHS 2011?
    Friday, September 23, 2011 2:28 PM
  • On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 14:28:31 +0000, CliffPort wrote:

Did you have any issues loging on to your WHS 2011?

None at all, no.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.

Friday, September 23, 2011 2:53 PM