Re-install WHS Media Smart EX470 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Sir or Madam:

Approximately one year ago I bought a Media Smart WHS EX470 from Amazon. I installed it without problems on my Toshiba laptop which ran Vista Home Premium 32 bit. After a couple months I uninstalled the software and didn’t run it for the last several months. Since then I have upgraded my OS to Vista Ultimate 32 bit, done numerous clean OS re-installs, and added 4 x one terabyte 7200.11 Seagate HDDs which had to have their drivers updated. I now am trying to reinstall WHS software on my laptop. Following the instructions on the disc states to power on the WHS, attach to Ethernet port of router, and click next only after the HDD health light shows either solid blue or purple. In my case the light flashes blue approximately 30 times, then 5 seconds of solid purple, then flashes blue & purple 5 times. This occurs in a cycle continuously. When I click next anyway, the software doesn’t recognize the server. I read a number of  blogs where I picked up the idea of reactivation. I can't find a phone number to call to ask about reactivation that doesn't require payment. Hence this e-mail. I don’t know if that is the problem, but if it is, could someone help? Also, I recall having to name the server when I installed the software before which isn't happening when I try to install it now.

Monday, October 19, 2009 9:34 PM

All replies

• Please explain - do you try to reinstall the server or the Connector software only?

If the first, did you bring the server into the installation mode with a paper clip? Also the client should be 32 Bit and you start the installation from the Server recovery DVD.
    There is no such thing as reactivation for OEM devices, since these are preactivated for the OEM (based on the Bios).
    Or did you change something in the network configuration (different router), while the HP machine got a fixed IP address from you?

I have no idea about the LED codes, but a good step would be to attempt a server recovery as described here.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:42 PM
  • Thanks Olaf, I didn't try the resetting of the server with a paper clip. And yes the WHS software and the Connecter software are on the same disc. I did try to install the server program & then the Connecter program. I didn't change the BIOS, but as I said I upgraded my client laptop from Vista Premium 32 to Vista Ultimate 32 bit. I also installed a larger HDD in my laptop, and have done a number of clean installs. I quess my point is, I wouldn't expect WHS program to recognize my laptop now as a client with all the changes I've done. You have indicated, if I am correct, that the WHS program recognizes the BIOS after it is installed. I don't recall changing my BIOS, and I haven't changed routers. Just to be sure, in your view I should do a factory reset, then use the "Recover WHS" software that came with the Media Smart EX470 package? 

Thanks again. I really appreciate the help. Shep

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:20 AM
  • A factory reset or server recovery was the idea, because from your description I had the impression of a hardware problem or an already attempted server reinstallation.
    Can you ping the server by name or IP address?
    Is the server reachable via Remote Desktop (eventually using the IP address of the server, which you can find often in the router configuration webpages).
    Do you have another client PC?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:00 PM
  • I in the beginning stage of re-installing the sortware. I'm going to try the factory reset then try to install software.  Thanks again Shep
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:53 PM
  • Actually, you probably won't be able to use the connector software on the CD anymore.  Your best bet is to connect to your home server using Internet Explorer and download the connector software from there:

http://servername:55000

(replace 'servername' with whatever you called your server).

The reason is that if the connector software isn't of the same version as the version of WHS that you're running, it won't connect.  I know that when I was running WHS1 on my Acer H340, after PP3 installed, the connector software on the CD was obsolete and any time I had to reinstall the software, I had to get it directly from the server.

If your server refuses to boot properly though, you're most likely going to have to use the server recovery CD to rebuild the server.  At that point the connector software will probably work for you since you're doing a fresh install.  Afterwards though, once the server has updated itself to the latest WHS Power Pack, you'll have to do the URL method (or save a copy of the connector somewhere for later use).

• Proposed as answer by MRego Saturday, September 24, 2011 3:18 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 3:18 PM