Upload speed: extremely slow - a way to troubleshoot, optimize, etc? RRS feed

• Question

• I added an .mp4 file to a live mesh folder that is shared online (230mb), and then "meshified" another folder with maybe 600mb (total) of .mp4 files. This was at 9:30 am.  3 hours later, I am uploading "115 of 214mb", none of the files in either folder is available.  

Just ran a quick Speedtest:

This is with Live Mesh running, so upload is obviously affected.

Question/suggestion: Is this the best performance we're going to get from Comcast/Live Mesh?  Is there going to be some way of telling how far into the upload we are? (the 214mb above is just one file, not the folder).

Not sure quite what to think here, certainly disappointing that 3 hrs after I started I can't share one file.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 7:53 PM

Answers

• Kip,
    Mesh throttles its uploads so as to no overwhelm your connection.  Also, expected time to upload 830MB of data can vary depending on what else is going on in the system at the same time (be it on your machine or in the Mesh).  The 214MB number is slightly misleading as it only tells you how much this endpoint thinks it has to upload, capped at some number of files at any instant in time--so you may see it fluctuate over time.  There's no way to tell how far into an upload you're in today.  We're going to try to provide more useful information in the future, as well as allow users more control over the process.

Feel free to open up a bug in Connect and attach the logs (Start > Programs > Live Mesh > Collect Live Mesh Logs) so that we can see if there is anything unusual.

Thanks!
    Richard
    Richard Chung [MSFT]
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 8:39 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Kip,
    Mesh throttles its uploads so as to no overwhelm your connection.  Also, expected time to upload 830MB of data can vary depending on what else is going on in the system at the same time (be it on your machine or in the Mesh).  The 214MB number is slightly misleading as it only tells you how much this endpoint thinks it has to upload, capped at some number of files at any instant in time--so you may see it fluctuate over time.  There's no way to tell how far into an upload you're in today.  We're going to try to provide more useful information in the future, as well as allow users more control over the process.

Feel free to open up a bug in Connect and attach the logs (Start > Programs > Live Mesh > Collect Live Mesh Logs) so that we can see if there is anything unusual.

Thanks!
    Richard
    Richard Chung [MSFT]
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 8:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes the endpoint uploading number, for lack of a better phrase, is almost completely useless information.  As I am writing this I just took a peek at the notifier, and the number, which had been at 838mb for hours, now just suddenly switched to 966mb.

After starting this at 9:14am pdt, it is now 8pm, and I apparently still have some undetermined long time to go.   
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 3:04 AM
  • Wish I had seen this post before starting a 400MB file transfer myself. 4 hours later and the numbers are not impressive at all. Could have drove the file across town long before now (sneakernet).

"Uploading 62.00 MB of 389.02 MB"

If this was a critical file we needed on another system we would first off be waiting for a day to get it and second have no clue how long it would actually take.

Two of my three "Devices" are on the same network. The other local device still does not have the file either so it appears the file goes to the "Live Desktop" then is sync'd back down? This is not true P2P as I understand it as the other device on my local network should have been able to transfer in no time.
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 3:52 AM
  • Hi MS_Small_Biz,

Right now all syncing is done through the cloud, as you've deduced.  But rest assured that true P2P syncing between devices is in the works!

Thanks for trying out Live Mesh,

Ben.
    Monday, May 5, 2008 7:55 PM
  • Yes I am experiencing this as well and it is a big turn-off as it will mostly impact users during the initial sync when they are still unsure about the service. I chose to sync an 1 GB folder and it is only utilizing a small fraction of my upstream bandwidth. I understand the rationale, but there really needs to be an option here. Also as others stated, the total progress meter is useless which is very annoying.
    Friday, July 4, 2008 5:01 AM