Sudden drop in domain score RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    We have just had a sudden drop in our domain score for no apparant reason.
    The site is http://www.jackiebrownmedical.ie
    Has anybody got any idea why this might have happened. We had a full green bar, then it dropped to four green bars and this morning it is at one bar. 
    we recently added a SMF forum to our site.(http://www.jackiebrownmedical.ie/forum) Other than that there have been no major changes.
    Meta descriptions are too short and need some work in the forum, but I don't see why anything in the forum would cause a drop of that magnitude.  In fact we were rather hoping that a forum would increase our rankings rather than decimate them.
    Anybody got any insight?
    Ian.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The indexed pages is an estimate. Because of the distributed method Live Search uses to store documents, it is difficult to retrieve an exact count, and you may notice the number varying slightly as you reload the page. This is a normal part of the estimation process.

You can identify which pages Live Search has indexed by clicking the number next to Indexed Pages. A Live Search page appears, presenting all pages that were indexed during the last crawl.

Brett
    Friday, September 5, 2008 4:06 PM

All replies

• Now it's back up to four again. I'd love to know what made it drop from 5 and what caused it to drop right down to one as well.  Anybody got any idea why this sort of thing might happen. I noticed that our homepage has dropped from 5 to 4 too despite there having been no changes to it at the time. . . I hate SEO!
    Friday, August 29, 2008 8:58 AM
  • In my observation, that's related to the change of number of pages indexed. Normally, only a few of pages are ranked in high bars. Most pages stay in one bar. Domain score is the average score of all pages indexed. So if the total no of page indexed increases, the domain score drops, esp. for the sites with a lot of low-bar pages. Here we know why it's not so good to have a lot of page in a site in terms of SEO. For a site with several pages, it's easy to keep domain score in high bars.

Now, here comes another question - why is the number of indexed page keeping change? I would hear others who know.

Friday, September 5, 2008 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

The indexed pages is an estimate. Because of the distributed method Live Search uses to store documents, it is difficult to retrieve an exact count, and you may notice the number varying slightly as you reload the page. This is a normal part of the estimation process.

You can identify which pages Live Search has indexed by clicking the number next to Indexed Pages. A Live Search page appears, presenting all pages that were indexed during the last crawl.

Brett
    Friday, September 5, 2008 4:06 PM