Got Error 0xc004e002; a solution has been applied but how did it happen to begin with RRS feed

• Question

• When Windows Vista was released to the public I drove 60 miles to buy a 400 dollar copy of Ultimate and drove 60 miles back to my house. I installed it; since the release, which has been what? 3 years? I've at least installed and activated it 3 or 4 times.

December 2009 I reformatted my hard drive and re installed Windows Vista Ultimate and of course activated it right away (within 5 days)

I dont know what happened outside of changing my wallpaper and rebooting the PC to play a game when the load screen took forever, it seemed like my video card driver or something failed because it was all too large (meaning 800x600 vs 1920x1200) . I had some issues, rebooted it in safe mode, worked fine, rebooted regular and it did ok.  Tried to play a game when it said "games explorer crashed"; rebooted or something when I got an error message saying I need to activate windows.

Tried activating windows but gave error code 0xC004E002; tried the website to see if my windows was genuine and it didnt have any luck. I was on the phone for 2hrs with Microsoft and awaited a solution, then eventually I searched the net and found this

9) Type: net start slsvc
    10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

It restored my license situation; rebooted the PC; entered my product key and voila problem resolved.

After reading a TON of posts I can only come to a conclusion that perhaps it was caused by either: Incompatible Software or Virus/Spyware/Malware

Its funny because during the situation while talking with Microsoft I preformed a quick scan of a  Virus deal and it found nothing.

During the situation I preformed a quick scan of Malwarebytes and it found nothing.

After I was finally able to activate windows, I ran a full system scan of Malware; and it found nothing.  What if every tool in the world scans my hard drive and finds nothing; Oh yeah I forgot I also preformed a "hijack this" and saw nothing out of the ordinary; so if nothing is on my hard drive; how did this happen in the first place?

I'd like to say my computer is pretty protected.  Norton 2010 Internet Security blocks a lot of stuff and the only thing that I lack is probably a registry cleaner. I was debating on buying it from Norton (Norton Utilities) but I guess I was seeing if Microsoft provided a registry cleaner; however the only thing I found was a Microsoft Live One Care which is mainly Virus/Spyware/Malware so they dont offer it either.

Any ideas on how it happened? Or do we just treat it as a common issue among hundreds of people (since I read at least 10 threads within the past month)?

Also get this; while talking with Microsoft he wanted me to read to him the part number on the back side (data portion) of my Vista Disc and he says its an OEM disc, yet my serial number is a Retail CD Key; so I have a Retail CD Key with OEM software, go figure.  Even my 64bit OS disc is an OEM part yet its from a retail store.

Anyways, my Windows is activated; I ran that diagnostic which says its genuine, not sure if my report will help determine the source or not.

Also I would like to know what couldve prevented this if possible and outside of that; I guess just re do the above steps if I encounter it again?

Thank you all.

• Edited by larrytolman Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:44 PM wrong word used
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:40 PM

Answers

• Hello larrytolman,

I can't say for sure the reason for the issue.  Considering the steps that resolved the issue, I suspect that either

a) The Software Licensing Service was turned off for some reason. This would cause a Non-Genuine state to occure. 

The step "9) Type: net start slsvc" is the command that turns the Software Licensing Service on. So if it was off, that command turned it back on and the Non-Genuine issue would have resolved.

or

b) Vista's Licensing Store may have been corrupt or the Licensing Data it contained may have been "messed up" in some way.

Running the step "cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc" could correct inconsistant data in the Licensing Store which would could resolve a Non-Genuine issue.

Then again, it could have been something else entirly (a Malware that hadn't yet been classified, so AV software wouldn't know to look for it or a file corruption that Vista was finally able to self-repair or a number of other known and unknown windows problems that can result in a Non-Genuine message).

Sorry I couldn't be more help,

Darin MS
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:31 AM

All replies

• Hello larrytolman,

I can't say for sure the reason for the issue.  Considering the steps that resolved the issue, I suspect that either

a) The Software Licensing Service was turned off for some reason. This would cause a Non-Genuine state to occure. 

The step "9) Type: net start slsvc" is the command that turns the Software Licensing Service on. So if it was off, that command turned it back on and the Non-Genuine issue would have resolved.

or

b) Vista's Licensing Store may have been corrupt or the Licensing Data it contained may have been "messed up" in some way.

Running the step "cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc" could correct inconsistant data in the Licensing Store which would could resolve a Non-Genuine issue.

Then again, it could have been something else entirly (a Malware that hadn't yet been classified, so AV software wouldn't know to look for it or a file corruption that Vista was finally able to self-repair or a number of other known and unknown windows problems that can result in a Non-Genuine message).

Sorry I couldn't be more help,

Darin MS
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:31 AM
  • hmmm.  Also Microsoft called me back and I also asked him his thoughts to this and he said that when I had rebooted my PC and it had a glitch and it took forever to load and it loaded it as 800x600 instead of its normal resolution; perhaps the OS didnt detect my video card in whatsoever in which it deactivates my Windows

But yet while I was able to boot in safe mode then back to normal and my video card was working; shouldnt that have resolved to where I shouldve been able to activate Windows; if you answer yes then I guess its what you said Darin that either the service was turned off or a Malware that wasnt classified yet.

Where can I find this service to confirm its set up properly? I'm pretty tech savvy (if I didnt say already) so I can pull up services.msc or even msconfig and look under services.

Thank you for your input :)

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:02 PM