(Easy Question) 70-680 training kit: Applying Windows image with ImageX RRS feed

• Question

• I'm an undergraduate student working as an IT assistant for a department on campus. Building computers since I was 8, working with IT for about a year, taking the MCTS exam as soon as I feel confident in everything.

Page 69 of the training kit (Configuring/Capturing System Images), you're given a procedure to deploy a recently captured image from a network share. The first part of the procedure has you boot into Windows PE and create two partitions, a 100-MB "system" partition (C:) and a "Windows" partition that takes up the rest of the disk (D:). Then, you copy the image from the network share:

net use y: \\network_share\images
    copy y:\installationimage.wim d:

Provide credentials, then use ImageX on the Windows PE cd (e:) to apply the image:

e:\imagex.exe /apply d:\myimage.wim 1 C:

This part makes no sense to me. First of all, the image should be called "installationimage.wim". Also, this line of code attempts to apply the image to C:, which is the 100-MB system partition. The error implies that the volume is not big enough, which it isn't.

Should the code read like this:

e:\imagex.exe /apply d:\installationimage.wim 1 D:
    or am I doing something very wrong?

Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please have a read of "Chapter 2 - Exercise 2 (pg 86) : Creating a WIM Image of the Canberra Computer" of the following Changes PDF

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Monday, July 25, 2011 2:38 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 6:38 AM
  • To be frank, this doesn't help.

1. I understand how to create an image just fine, I've made a few successfully now.
    2. The instructions of Exercise 2 ask you to create an image of C:, the "System" partition. If this is the same C: partition created on Page 69, then it is only 100 MB, and therefore incapable of storing an installation of Windows 7.

The other disk, D: labeled "Windows", uses up the rest of the disk and is capable of storing Windows. However, if they want you to just apply the image to volume D: then why even create the C: "System" volume?

I've been able to install/deploy Windows just fine while ignoring the 100 MB system partition, but I don't understand its purpose. It just stays empty. I just want to know what I'm missing here.

Hunter Buchanan Computer Support Assistant Life Sciences Computing Group University of California, Santa Barbara
    Monday, July 11, 2011 6:54 AM
  • The system partition they're referring to is a small boot partition (100mb) used to boot Windows 7 only.  This partition does not include the actual Windows 7 operating system.

It is used as a recovery partition to ensure a machine can still boot into a diagnostics/install mode if the operating system partition becomes corrupt

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

Monday, July 11, 2011 6:56 AM
  • What should it contain, though? I got the impression that the system partition is created during a Windows installation from DVD, but I needed to create it myself if I was applying an image to the drive. When during that process do I actually move files to that partition?
    Hunter Buchanan
    Computer Support Assistant
    Life Sciences Computing Group
    University of California, Santa Barbara
    Monday, July 11, 2011 7:17 AM
  • I am having the same problem, I'm not sure it's clear wheather we should be acutally doing these steps, on which machines.  It's taken me a while to get to grips with this.  I googled 70-680 page 69 and found this.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:10 PM
  • Am I to take it from the assgination of the drive letter C: to the 100MB system partition and the D: to the windows partition, that the norm is going to be D:\windows?

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:12 PM