none
Boot freezes on ACPITABL.DAT after loading SCSI or IDE or SATA drivers

Question

• Hi all,  I'm hoping someone can help with this little problem I have.

I have WHS loaded on an older system with dual processors.

I have just added a PCI SATA/IDE controller card with a VIA chipset (6421A), but cannot load drivers for it.

Whenever I try to install the drivers, the Server refuses to load. I have set the /noguiboot option in the BOOT.INI file and the last file listed during the load process is "windows\system32\ACPITABL.DAT".

Strangely, that file doesn't exist on the hard drive.

Searching the web has found this to be a problem for a number of people in the past when they added SP1 to Windows SBS / Win Server 2003, or SP2 on XP64.  However, the solutions they provide either don't work or assume that the PC/Server can be booted into safe mode. In my case, none of the 3 types of safe mode works. I can only load the "previous known good menu" to revert the WHS to the state prior to me loading these drivers.

One of the solutions for other people was to replace the c:\windows\system32\drivers\update.sys file with the original from the OS installation Disc. This doesn't seem to work since the Installation Disc was already SP1 and not pre-SP1 as in the cases that I read about on-line.

So have any other WHS users encountered this and know a solution, or are there any ideas how I can fix it?

My 4x standard IDE connections are full and I want to install more HDs. I have a 160GB SATA waiting to be used and want to buy more 500GB SATA drives if we can get the add-on SATA card to work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Graham.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 3:27 PM

Answers

• You need to be sure that the PCI SATA/IDE controller card drivers are compatible with Windows Server 2003. In this case it looks like you'll need to get a different controller card if the one you have isn't supported. Something like this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124009) should be fine; as long as 'supported operating systems' include Windows Server 2003, it should work.

If your product states that it is Windows Server 2003 compatible, check the manufacturer's website and look for updated drivers.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 5:48 PM

All replies

•  

Any ideas? Anyone?

I can't load the drivers for the onboard Highpoint IDE controller or the VIA chipset add-on SATA / IDE controller card.

Because of that, I can't add any more hard drives and this maens WHS cannot meet my needs as a backup / storage solution.

System details:

Dual CPU

512Mb RAM

200GB HD in use

another 900GB waiting to be accessed as soon as drivers can be installed.

PCs being backed up:

Desktop 1 - 1.5TB HD space, heavily used

Desktop 2 - 750GB HD space, medium use

Laptop 1 - 160GB HD space, light use.

all are Win XP SP2 and the OS + Apps are backed up well, but cannot backup all data without more storage on WHS.

Cheers, Graham.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 11:44 PM
  • You need to be sure that the PCI SATA/IDE controller card drivers are compatible with Windows Server 2003. In this case it looks like you'll need to get a different controller card if the one you have isn't supported. Something like this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124009) should be fine; as long as 'supported operating systems' include Windows Server 2003, it should work.

If your product states that it is Windows Server 2003 compatible, check the manufacturer's website and look for updated drivers.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 5:48 PM
  •  

I had the same problem. I had installed a bigger drive and wanted to boot off that. I had ghosted it and everything.  I tried all the fixes.  When I physically moved the bigger drive to the old SATA port it booted up fine.

http://www.gowithabs.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2

Paul

Friday, June 27, 2008 6:08 PM
  •  

Hi All, whenever I have problem that seems to by hardware related I always turn to peeking at the BIOS to see if hyperthreading is switched on.  I too had ACPITABL.DAT problems and my HP WHS just kept rebooting. Turned off HT and it seemsl fine and dandy. fingers crossed.

Hope this helps anyone.

Best wishes,

Sunday, June 29, 2008 3:54 PM
  • i fixed my exact same problem by switching the sata port to an open port, everything worked just fine after that, i got lucky and had the easy way out, hopefully this helps someone else

P.S. its on a server 2003 machine with 2 sata drives in raid 0
    • Proposed as answer by pddoty Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:25 PM
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:28 PM
  • For future reference I would like to add my solution to this problem. WHS would freeze at the point where acpitabl.dat was being loaded. 1st step was to pull all the drives and run chkdsk on each one. They all tested OK. Next step was to pull all the drives except for the OS drive. After that it would boot up. What I did was one by one, plug a drive back in and power up. If it booted up OK then I shutdown and plugged the next drive in. Eventually I found a drive that would not let the system boot if it was plugged in. I replaced the SATA cable but the system would not boot. I was pretty sure the drive was OK so I moved it to a spare port on another SATA card in the box. Voila, problem solved. It would seem that the port I was plugged into on the MB packed it in. If it happens again then the mobo is getting replaced.
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:47 PM
  • I had this same issue.

Resolved by unplugging a USB SATA HDD dock.  There was no hard drive in the dock, but I had recently dismounted the drive that was in the dock via the system tray, and removed it 'hot'.

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 6:07 PM
  • I had almost the exact same issue with the same config. 2 SATA drives in a RAID 0 on a PCI RAID card running Server 2003 R2 x86.  I unplugged both drives from the RAID card and plugged drive 0 directly to one of the motherboard's SATA  ports and it booted!  Not to troubleshoot the underlying issue which I'm guessing is something to do with the RAID card.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:43 PM
  • For the record. Same problem here with Windows XP 64 Bit after installing drivers. However the error had nothing to do with drivers, but with a broken RAM module. Blue Screen all of a sudden, restart, ACPITABL.DAT error. POST beep error indicating it was a ram error.

Solution: exchanged defective Hardware, reboot - done.

brgds

Philipp Post
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:05 AM