locked
Server Backup Service won't stay running RRS feed

  • Question

  • So, I'm finding that if my backup media is ever disconnected, WHS2011 freaks out and doesn't recover well. I have a backup set up to go to an external 2GB USB drive. Backups have been working flawlessly. I accidentally disconnected the USB drive (not during a backup or anything crazy like that). When I reconnected the drive, soon the server tells me that one or more services are not running. The referenced services are Windows Server Addins Infrastructure Service, Windows Server Identity Management Service, and Windows Server Server Backup Service. I can manually start the first two. But as soon as I attempt to start the Windows Server Server Backup Service, all three die right away.

    I've done the standard chkdsk /f/r stuff and no errors show up on that disconnected drive.

    I found this KB (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981851) titled "The backup operation fails and the Wbengine.exe service stops in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7 if one of the volumes in the operation does not exists any longer ". Certainly sounds like my issue. But this is an old patch and seems to refer to older versions of the WBEngine.exe (6.1.7600.20674) than the ones currently in WHS2011 (6.1.7601.17514). I almost think I need to clean out the current backup config and re-build it. But you can't get to it (I've tried going through both the WHS dashboard or from the WBAdmin powershell commands) unless the WBEngine.exe is running.

    Anyone have ideas for how to get my server backups running again???

    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:40 AM

All replies

  • I've made progress. It must have been a corrupted catalog. From the powershell, I issued a wbadmin delete catalog.

    From there it seems a little odd yet. More work to be done. I tried restoring the backup catalog (ie. I went to my disk manager in the Microsoft Management Console and temporarily gave the the backup disk a drive letter (like z:). Then from the powershell prompt againt, I did webadmin restore catalog - backupTarget:z:) But that doesn't seem to be working. When I go and try to set up a backup, it says it completed and that the next one is scheduled to go at 11:00. But then in the dashboard it still says that it isn't set up yet. I'm going to do a reboot to see if it just isn't updating the dashboard correctly. But this is progress!!!

    Saturday, November 5, 2011 3:31 AM