OneCare Firewall blocking internet! RRS feed

• Question

• Okay Im seeing this as a common problem - is there a difinitive solution to solving this issue? Right now my computer has firewall turned off just to access the internet, enable the firewall and no internet works.

Windows XP 32bit SP2 on a Compaq Computer (OEM)
    Computer was using Windows OneCare for 4 months, few days ago this problem happened, After hours of working on why internet works on one computer but not this one - someone suggested turning off the firewall.. and its confirmed that this is the only thing affecting me - the firewall

Anyone know why this is happening? is it a recent update bug?
    Monday, February 18, 2008 4:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• I have the same problem. I just upgraded this Dell 1501 from XP to Vista Business; after the upgrade, OnceCare is blocking the internet connection. I turn off the Firewall and it works. I recommended OnceCare to the owner of this laptop and now I'm regretting it.

I hope someone from MS will post a fix for this annoyance.

Monday, February 18, 2008 5:37 AM
  • Both of you should contact support for help with this problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

The only known problem that blocks Internet access with OneCare 2.0 is described here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2497220&SiteID=2 - and is specific to the firewall component built into the driver package for the network controller on the Nvidea motherboards.

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 3:45 PM
  • I dont want to sound ignorant but that has nothing to do with my problem - I dont have an Nvidia chipset - Its an Intel Chipset and AMD CPU.

Ill try talking to support, if I dont get this fixed soon Im going to have to ditch this software because without the firewall I see no point to it other than the automated performance which I can do (and did before this) myself.

Reason being I posted was because I was hoping someone else went through support to fix this and maybe would post results?
    Monday, February 18, 2008 9:46 PM
  • Why would you sound ignorant? I simply pointed out the only known problem with the firewall blocking Internet access currently. Actually, there is one other known problem, but at this point you will be prevented from installing OneCare if you are using Dynamic Disk partition types instead of Basic as the inability to connect to the Internet is one possible outcome of trying to use OneCare on a PC configured this way.

The other possible reasons for this would include a conflicting firewall, parental controls, etc.

I assume that you can connect to the Internet with the firewall turned off, but even after establishing the connection, turning the firewall back on kills your connection?

-steve

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:41 AM
  • I have the same problem with a new computer I just built.  No Nvidia chipset. Intel graphics on motherboard. I put the computer together, loaded windows XP SP3, the motherboard drivers and a wireless PCI card. Everything worked fine connecting to the internet. I installed onecare and then net connection died. When I disable Oncecare firewall it works fine. If I enable the onecare firewall the connection dies. If I open TCP/UDP ports 1-64000 with the firewall on it will work. Not much of a firewall at that point.  

HELP!
    Friday, May 15, 2009 3:51 PM
  • I have the same problem with a new computer I just built.  No Nvidia chipset. Intel graphics on motherboard. I put the computer together, loaded windows XP SP3, the motherboard drivers and a wireless PCI card. Everything worked fine connecting to the internet. I installed onecare and then net connection died. When I disable Oncecare firewall it works fine. If I enable the onecare firewall the connection dies. If I open TCP/UDP ports 1-64000 with the firewall on it will work. Not much of a firewall at that point.  

HELP!

I'd certainly agree that opening all ports doesn't do much for a firewall's functionality. Something is certainly amiss, though. I suggest that you contact support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

What type of router are you using? (make and model)

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, May 15, 2009 7:15 PM
  • Have contacted support twice now with no luck.  

I am using a Linksys wrt300n version 1 with 1.03.6 firmware and a linksys wmp300n pci adapter card. I even tried a different wireless adapter, Netgear, just to make sure it wasn't card.

Weird. :/
    Friday, May 15, 2009 9:37 PM
  • Do you have support case numbers for your two contacts? Or did support not respond?

Yes, that is strange, since the router isn't one of the ones we've seen issues with in the past. Does it only happen when you connect wirelessly? Have you tried connecting to the router with a cable?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 11:52 PM