none
If you could make one more change to the forums, what would it be? RRS feed

• Question

•  With the new forums release (4/7), if you could make one more change to the forums, what would it be?
    Forums Product Planner, Andrew.Brenner at Microsoft.com
    Monday, April 7, 2008 11:24 PM

Answers

• T. Headrick said:

Also, I thought there was going to be some way to collapse the threads and see just the original post and any posts marked as answered.  So a user could quickly navigate to the "Answered" posts...

Windows Home Server Team

If you're on the thread, there is a filter that says "All Message" at the top and you can change it to show only Answers, but it then doesn't show the orginal post.
    Sam Jarawan STO Forums Senior Development Lead
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:20 AM

All replies

• Currently, you can mark posts as ANSWERED if you are a Moderator.  I would also like the ability to mark posts as CLOSED or some other term to denote that the original question is really unanswerable and that this post as run its course.   So you can Lock a Thread and marked it CLOSED and this somehow shows up in the UI as different than an Answered post

Windows Home Server Team
    Monday, April 7, 2008 11:57 PM
  • Also, I thought there was going to be some way to collapse the threads and see just the original post and any posts marked as answered.  So a user could quickly navigate to the "Answered" posts...
    Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:02 AM
  • T. Headrick said:

Currently, you can mark posts as ANSWERED if you are a Moderator.  I would also like the ability to mark posts as CLOSED or some other term to denote that the original question is really unanswerable and that this post as run its course.   So you can Lock a Thread and marked it CLOSED and this somehow shows up in the UI as different than an Answered post

Windows Home Server Team

Wouldn't "Lock" a thread just be sufficient?  We have that already.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:10 AM
  • T. Headrick said:

Also, I thought there was going to be some way to collapse the threads and see just the original post and any posts marked as answered.  So a user could quickly navigate to the "Answered" posts...

Windows Home Server Team

If you're on the thread, there is a filter that says "All Message" at the top and you can change it to show only Answers, but it then doesn't show the orginal post.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:20 AM
  • Change the width to consume the entire screen.
    Cheers, Karl - http://karlshifflett.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 6:35 PM
  • Sam Jarawan said:

T. Headrick said:

Currently, you can mark posts as ANSWERED if you are a Moderator.  I would also like the ability to mark posts as CLOSED or some other term to denote that the original question is really unanswerable and that this post as run its course.   So you can Lock a Thread and marked it CLOSED and this somehow shows up in the UI as different than an Answered post

Windows Home Server Team

Wouldn't "Lock" a thread just be sufficient?  We have that already.

Lock thread isn't sufficient - as you want to mark it as sort of Quasi-Answered - so the post no longer shows up in the Stats as "Unanswered"  - If forum moderators are measured on "% of Answered Posts" - these unanswerable posts need to somehow be marked as CLOSED and have a graphical icon to display that this thread has been "Marked as More or Less Answered Due to the Lack of Having a Discrete Answer"
    Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:37 PM
  • I agree with Todd.

Here are my thoughts:

The forum landing page contains a list of forums.  Below each Title link is a description, then the member who posted last.  It looks very sloppy to me and my first thoughts were, "Am I looking at a Google Ad?".  If you look at the current forum, the landing page is very clean.  You should never have to hunt around for what to click on, this should just pop out.  I think this is emphasized by the amount of space between forums or possibly the fact that the coloring for the title and usernames are the same.

I would also like to see more branding.  *VERY* important to me.

There should be sub forums.  I would like to keep the landing page as simple as possible.  Having 20 different forum titles in the landing page is not very helpful.  Let's say, I clicked Windows Home Server software, then I had options for: Remote Access, Backup, Home Computer Connector, Add-ins, etc... which makes finding a subject and search simpler. 

There should be two different "Mark as answered" abilities.  One that says this is the answer to the entire question and one that says this is the answer to part of the question.  Sometimes a thread has multiple questions.

The "Marked As Answered" feature should exist in Comment threads too.  There are questions in there that arise and you cannot give someone credit for it.

Another cool feature that I recently have seen on another forum is a quote feature.  If I quoted a reply, then wrote my response.  It puts my reply up with the quote.  If I then quote another response after that one, what currently happens now is, it creates another reply with a quote below my first reply.  What would be neat is if forum is smart enough to know that since this is the same poster that it could combine both post into one post with the seperate quotes and responses.  That it would time stamp it saying how much longer it took for the second response.

This forums is an example of the quote system: http://www.frontlineswar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3134
    Look at Explicitsaint's response four posts down.  Very Cool! 

Also, this editor takes up WAY too much space.  Over half my Window.  The editor should be reduced in size.  Long posts are less likely than posts where people are trying to read what another user has said.

Thanks for taking my input!

Windows Home Server Team
    • Edited by Joel Burt Tuesday, April 8, 2008 9:30 PM spelling
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 9:26 PM
  • I have been lobbying for a very long time to have a third option. Unanswered and Answered does not cover the posts that have been 'abandoned', or as previously mentioned, unanswerable.

How about a 'Closed-Not Answered' option.
    And it 'should' be discounted from the stats.

In my graduate days, in the study of qualitative analysis, I came to appreciate that what often appears to be a simple Yes/No type of question, is really not a binary piece of data. In fact it will often have four true options. Yes/No, Didn't respond, Not Applicable. Without the second pair of options, the stats become meaninglessly distorted.

Please give serious consideration to a third option of 'Closed'.

I would prefer to NOT lock a 'Closed' thread -someone may happen on it in a search and expand on the post and then generate some activity.

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 12:30 AM
  • I agree.

When I am looking for answers to a question ... I would really like to be able to search and request the results to *not* include unanswered entries.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 11:26 PM
  • Great discussion here, I like the ideas. Thanks!
    Forums Product Planner, Andrew.Brenner at Microsoft.com
    Friday, April 11, 2008 3:23 PM
  • DeborahK said:

I agree.

When I am looking for answers to a question ... I would really like to be able to search and request the results to *not* include unanswered entries.

On the Search Results page, you can filter by thread type. This should get you what you'd like to acheive.

Matt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:44 PM
  • Forward and Back buttons would be great I think.
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 11:38 PM
  • Let people with a dot at the end of their user name see their threads (when clicking on "my threads").
    Friday, May 30, 2008 2:39 AM
  • Profiles are based on Live ID, not usernames.
    Friday, May 30, 2008 4:34 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

Have all the dialogs such as the ColorDialog and Font Size Dialog open on the edit window half, NOT right at the top of the forum MAIN window which is annoying when replying to a long thread.

My other gripe is the button to INSERT a URL pastes at the very top of the edit window, NOT at the current cursor position or end of the text.

Regards,

John

I have previously been, until recently, an MSP ( Microsoft Student Partner ).
    Monday, July 28, 2008 1:02 AM
  • Hi Andrew:

Three related issues in preview:

1. Add all the features of the single thread view to the preview.

2. Avoid duplication by making the single thread view and the preview the same, except for the "Close" and "View thread" links at the bottom of the preview.

3. Improve the "threaded view" display. One possibility (which I have suggested elsewhere) is just to display the post (nick and date) that each post is replying to. Much simpler than the current display, and everybody could use the same version.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    • Edited by davewilk Monday, July 28, 2008 12:26 PM Clarification
    Monday, July 28, 2008 10:37 AM
  • There are several suggestions I've made, but I think this is the best one:

"Lots of people say the Top Answerers list is inaccurate (which is probably true), but what I find most irritating is that it cycles through several lists. One minute it's Top Answerers, the next Top MVP answerers, the next Moderators and the next top Microsoft Answerers. Although MVPs and Moderators are still in the Top Answerers list? LOL.

This is illogical for this part of the page.

You should include a complete list somewhere in the forum, but I think you should go back to it being just Top Answerers, or something else I suggest:

How about making lists that apply to all of the forums (Media, Encoder, Web, Studio etc.) and cycle through them?

It would be something like this:

Top Answerers - Web

Top Answerers - Design

Top Answerers - Studio

etc., etc., etc.

Or even consolidating them down to one general, cross-forum list would be better."

Take a chance. Prepare to be surprised.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:54 AM
  • Okay, here's what I'd really like to see.

There are several people on the forums who participate in more than one forum.  For instance, I participate in C# General and C# Language, and would participate in more, except for one thing: I have to have a separate window up for each forum to monitor the forums.  I'd really like to have some kind of "forums aggregator" view that combines all the information from any number of other forums (this could be limited to a certain number, if need be), so that I can see all of my forums on one page.  This would prevent me from having to creatively position two forum windows on my desktop so I can see both forums.  I'd love to be able to have a view where I can say "show me all the posts from C# General and C# Language and .NET Base Class Library and CLR" all at once.
    David Morton - Consultant - Catapult Systems - Houston
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 4:47 PM
  • David M Morton said:

Okay, here's what I'd really like to see.

There are several people on the forums who participate in more than one forum.  For instance, I participate in C# General and C# Language, and would participate in more, except for one thing: I have to have a separate window up for each forum to monitor the forums.  I'd really like to have some kind of "forums aggregator" view that combines all the information from any number of other forums (this could be limited to a certain number, if need be), so that I can see all of my forums on one page.  This would prevent me from having to creatively position two forum windows on my desktop so I can see both forums.  I'd love to be able to have a view where I can say "show me all the posts from C# General and C# Language and .NET Base Class Library and CLR" all at once.

David Morton - Consultant - Catapult Systems - Houston

There's been talk of a "My Forums" type of view in the past, where you could aggregate threads from multiple forums. I think it's somethign we'll do, but it's not right at the top of the priority list at the moment.

Matt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:13 PM
  • David:

I just use a tabbed browser. IMHO, without a tabbed browser the forums are unusable if you want to subscribe to two or more.

Contrast an NNTP reader, which can display all the posts in all the threads in all the groups on any number of servers, all on the same screen.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:21 PM
  • I'm just getting my feet wet in the forums, but when in My Profile the breadcrumb doesn't have the "Forum Home" and "Browse Users" links.  Short of hitting the browser's back button there I can't find a way to get back to the main forum list. IMO, the Forums Home button should be inlcuded on every page.

I do like that the expand/collapse settings seem to be staying, as I certainely don't want to scroll through 100 forums all the time; just keeping the ones I'm interesting in open is a welcome change :)
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Friday, August 1, 2008 1:40 AM