Microsoft Fix it Center does not work RRS feed

• Question

• First, PLEASE don't tell me to go into strange folders or files I know nothing about and change registries, type this or type that.  This application is suppose to FIX things like that.  Loaded on two computers fine, but NONE of the options work.  Same message on each option...'An unexpected error occured, the trouble shooting wizard cannot continue'  Error code is 0x80040154.  These kinds of things are so irritating, when Microsoft advertises something like this, I spend the time to download, use up more memory, and seems more often than not these 'wonder files' never work.  And, as usual, I still have the same problems...slow Microsoft Live loading, IE unexpectedly closing.  I use McAfee Antivirus Plus, so I'm pretty confident I have no viruses.
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 12:29 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem with every item in Fixit centre except with no specicific error. And it happens with every single item in the Fixit Centre

You know things are bad when the very product Microsoft makes to fix errors cannot run due to its own errors,

• Proposed as answer by Robertdal Saturday, January 14, 2012 11:34 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:41 PM
  • I downloaded fix it center today and am having the same problem.  listed 17 items that need attention and ALL get the same response...Error code 0x80040154.  Unexpected error occurred.  What is the deal?   Is this today's glitch?   I really need help and all I find is a forum with others having same issue and no help...  It is irritating!!!!

• Proposed as answer by Lorique Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:00 PM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 11:11 PM
  • I have the same problem as described in your text.

So the question is: is there anyone out there, that can walk us through, step by step, and tell us how to overcome the "0x80040154" problem, that is causing my "Microsoft media player," not to work.

Regards,

coolcat123

• Proposed as answer by norajess1 Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:17 AM
    Sunday, January 1, 2012 7:06 PM
  • Have any of you ran the microsoft scanner for malware and adware ? That may be the problem. Some of those malicious programs disable things that might fix it.

Here is the link it would be a good place to start. If it shows you have issues then you may need additional cleaning up to get things to work. Let me know I can recommend some free programs to use.

Also it is very helpful to give as much information about your system as possible such as version of windows service packs anything new installed recently. Anything you can think of. There is no such thing as too much information.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

• Edited by Crlmson Monday, January 2, 2012 12:03 AM
    Monday, January 2, 2012 12:01 AM
  • I have the same problem, no matter what the problem is, it tells me that an error accured and cannot continue.. i am using system mechanincs, but it seems like after every time i use it .. files get missing or something .. at first the computer runs fine .. but after a time .. it slows down , even when i do a reboot to maufacturer condition .. there seems to be something wrong right after i get everything installed .. i am getting white hair over this .. i need help
    Monday, January 2, 2012 12:36 AM
  • Let me know if it contiues after you run the scanner and let it fix whatever it finds and what it finds....
    Monday, January 2, 2012 12:47 AM
  • I used Fix It today to get round a problem with uninstalling an old version of Java.  That worked so I downloaded the full App and am now having exactly the same problem as others on this page.  I have just run a full scan with Kapersky 2011 and found no problems with my machine.  I am reluctant to use the scanner listed above as Kapersky considers it to be unsafe.  I note that Fix It is still in Beta so clearly there are problems that still need to be resolved.  In the meantime I will be uninstalling FixIT as it offers me no benefit whatsoever in its current state. 

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 6:19 PM
  • BEWARE OF THINGS THAT MICROSOFT OFFER NOT ALL IS FREE FURTHER COSTS ARE INVOLVED I TO HAVE TRIED THEIR SO CALLED AUTO FIX TOOL BUT IT IS INEFFECTIVE AS IT WILL NOT INSTALL ON YOU PC WITHOUT ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE WHICH COSTS EXTRA MONEY SUCH AS WIN ZIP OR SOME OTHER PROGRAM THAT SAYS IT IS A PROUD PARTNER OF MICROSOFT AND SAYS IT IS TOTALLY FREE BUT TO USE IT REQUIRES IT TO BE REGISTERED AND IN THE PROCESS OF REGISTRATION YOU ARE ASKED TO PAY A FEE  SO BEWARE

ROBJLEE64

Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:32 PM