Be able to map a drive with all the shares in it RRS feed

• Question

• This would be great then I could create a drive mapping on my system, instead of one for each share. So place all the share under one share called shares, that way I could map to \\homeserver\shares, then  I would get all my shares from there. You can still have the photo share and what not but this way I can get to all the shares from a mapped drive, which some programs like better them UNC paths.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 9:51 PM

Answers

• You can do this by setting the sharing permissions on the shares folder on WHS (not shared by default - only subfolders).  You will need to remote in or log on locally - not through connector.  Once sharing is setup, just map the clients to \\server\shares.

-J

Saturday, May 5, 2007 10:15 PM

All replies

• You can do this by setting the sharing permissions on the shares folder on WHS (not shared by default - only subfolders).  You will need to remote in or log on locally - not through connector.  Once sharing is setup, just map the clients to \\server\shares.

-J

Saturday, May 5, 2007 10:15 PM
  • Great, I had not had a chance to dig around the file systems to see how the data was worked out (partly because of all the warnings about messing stuff up). But I did just what you said and it works great.

Now if MS could just make this a check mark in the connector then that would be great

Sunday, May 6, 2007 4:12 AM
  •  Manwdplan wrote:

Great, I had not had a chance to dig around the file systems to see how the data was worked out (partly because of all the warnings about messing stuff up). But I did just what you said and it works great.

Now if MS could just make this a check mark in the connector then that would be great

This is the first step but you probably wont be able to write to the shares by just sharing the D:/shares folder. Use the permission "button" on the shares tab (not the security tab) the default and only user is "everyone" with read only permissions. add "Windows Home Server Users" and give "Full Control" Permissions to the new user. Now you will have write access to all the folders (except those excluded in the console permissions, I.E. someone elses personal user folder).

Rex Geissinger

Monday, May 7, 2007 1:24 AM