New comer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everone,

I am just a new comer of the WHS. I have ordered the cd from Microsoft and wants to get some information on how to install it

1. Can I run the installation on a Vista 64-bit computer??
    2. What's the max RAM it can handle??
    3. Should I remove Vista and just run the WHS only??
    3. If I want to install oher program on WHS, what OS version should I choose ( some of the programs have XP or Vista vesion only)??

Thanak you
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 11:42 AM

Answers

• For starters, can I direct you to www.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver where you can read all about WHS.

To answer your questions:

1 - WHS requires its own computer, it is an operating system not software that sits on top of an existing OS.

2 - it doesnt need as much ram as its not like a normal every day OS - 2Gb is plenty

3 - WHS is not a normal OS - have a read of what exactly WHS is and does at the link I mention above

3 (4) - again, its not a normal OS and as such you wouldnt use it as your day to day OS. You would need WIndows 2003 compatible software to install on WHS, but beware that some software will break WHS.

Andrew

Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:19 PM
  •  eaout wrote:
    I am planning to install, Firefox, Kmplayer and Bitcomet. Is it ok for the WHS to handle these 3 software??

Again, this implies that you intend to use Windows Home Server as a day to day operating system like XP or Vista which it is not designed to do and as such installing that software may break it.

WHS is designed to be left to run in the background as a server.

Have a read of the documentation so that you are clearer what WHS actually is and does so that you dont cause yourself any problems.

Andrew

Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:34 PM

All replies

• For starters, can I direct you to www.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver where you can read all about WHS.

To answer your questions:

1 - WHS requires its own computer, it is an operating system not software that sits on top of an existing OS.

2 - it doesnt need as much ram as its not like a normal every day OS - 2Gb is plenty

3 - WHS is not a normal OS - have a read of what exactly WHS is and does at the link I mention above

3 (4) - again, its not a normal OS and as such you wouldnt use it as your day to day OS. You would need WIndows 2003 compatible software to install on WHS, but beware that some software will break WHS.

Andrew

Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:19 PM
  • I am planning to install, Firefox, Kmplayer and Bitcomet. Is it ok for the WHS to handle these 3 software??
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:30 PM
  •  eaout wrote:
    I am planning to install, Firefox, Kmplayer and Bitcomet. Is it ok for the WHS to handle these 3 software??

Again, this implies that you intend to use Windows Home Server as a day to day operating system like XP or Vista which it is not designed to do and as such installing that software may break it.

WHS is designed to be left to run in the background as a server.

Have a read of the documentation so that you are clearer what WHS actually is and does so that you dont cause yourself any problems.

Andrew

Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:34 PM