One Source Multiple Destinations RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if there are any issues using SyncToy to sync the same "left" folder with multiple different "right" folders in ECHO mode?

I want to back up the same data to multiple destinations...local usb disk, NAS, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Sunday, August 24, 2008 10:16 PM

Answers

• It will work fine  - just create different folder pairs for the multiple different right folders.

Thanks

Deepa

Sunday, August 24, 2008 11:24 PM

All replies

• It will work fine  - just create different folder pairs for the multiple different right folders.

Thanks

Deepa

Sunday, August 24, 2008 11:24 PM
  • Please allow me to ask a variation on that question:

Can multiple people (i.e., multiple laptops) use SyncToy safely to synchronize a shared drive?

In other words, my team all uses laptops, but in the office we share a single file-server, so all can see and access our team files. At the end of the day, can each syncronize and walk away safely? And then return in the morning, maybe having made changes on the road, and resychronize upon return? (Assume that multiple people changing a single offline file will be rare).

Any particualr dangers here?

Friday, September 5, 2008 3:29 AM
  • Hello,

I think what you are looking for is a Versioning System. Like Visual Source Safe, Team Foundation Server (better) or for example Subversion - http://subversion.tigris.org/features.html - which is free.

Regards,

Hanslindgren

Monday, September 8, 2008 2:01 PM
  • Assuming what you are NOT looking for is a versioning system ( we cannot help you by keeping all previous versions of your files) - there is a SyncToy choice though that sends all files that we delete to the Recycle Bin where you can retrieve them but normal Recycle Bin behaviour applies once we send it there.

You could install SyncToy 2.0 on everyone's laptop and they can all create folder pairs from their local laptops to the same server location folder. But the danger here lies in multiple people changing the SAME file. This is not a versioning system so if two people make changes to the same file during the course of the day and they come back to synchronize with the same location, whoever has the Last Write Time will win which means that the other person's changes will be lost. I understand you are saying that is rare but I want to be clear that you understand that on that rare occasion - one person will end up losing their data.

Thanks

Deepa

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:19 AM