Copying Files from a Back-up Volume is EXTREMELY slow RRS feed

• Question

• Running Vail on a i3-530 with 6GB of memory and 6 drives of various capacities.  Backed-up one of my machines about 3TB of data (office files, movies both DVD and Blu-Ray, camera RAW and jpg etc).  to Vail.  Turned OFF Duplication for the Network Computer Backups Folder as the Vail machine has only about a total of 4TBs of storage.  The two computers are connected via a Gigabit wired network.  

1.  Copying files back to the client machine from a mounted back-up volume is EXTREMELY slow. Right now, I'm averaging about 2 Mbits/s.  That means it will take approximately 145 days to copy 3TB of data.  This is NOT ACCEPTABLE performance.  I can restore faster from Mozy off the internet. Why is VAIL so slow?

Thanks,

2. Vail backup throughput is a little faster than in WHS v1.  But the strange thing is it went in spurts.  The backup would be sustained at 600 Mbits/s and then go down to 0 Mbits/s for a couple of minutes and back again.  Looking at the resource monitor in Vail, i see that Vail is reading and writing to the back-up file when the network activity is down to 0.  Shouldn't there be a way to improve speed here by some sort of multi-tasking? What is making the back-up process to be so sequential in execution. i.e. move some data from the client machine to the server drives, then do something to that data on the server drive and do this process over and over again.  Seems very inefficient.

Sang Peiris
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 6:44 PM

Answers

• Single file restore is intended for restoring a relatively small amount of data. If you want to restore the entire machine, then the bare metal restore will be a much better option.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 5, 2010 3:08 AM

All replies

• Single file restore is intended for restoring a relatively small amount of data. If you want to restore the entire machine, then the bare metal restore will be a much better option.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 5, 2010 3:08 AM
  • Even for a small amount of data, 2 Mbits/s is completely unacceptable.  That is a HUGE show stopper. I don't want to restore the entire machine, I need to restore a lot of files in a particular folder.  This is a simple scenario and 'Vail' should support this. WHS V1 did a great job of this.
    Sang Peiris
    Monday, July 5, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Has anyone else ran across this?

I'm having the exact problem.  I can copy from the shared folders at a constant 30mbits but as soon as I try and restore a file from a backup it will fluctuate  from 600kb to 1mb.  The file size and type doesn't matter either.  I've tried a singe 5meg picture and the whole 19gig picture folder.  

I was think along the lines that the Restore function was having to uncompress the files or something and the cpu was overloaded but I have an e6500 that sits at 99% idle the whole time that the restore is happening. 

Thanks,

Barry

Edit:  Submitted Bug ID 583046 to the Connect site.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:04 AM
  • Even for a small amount of data, 2 Mbits/s is completely unacceptable.  That is a HUGE show stopper. I don't want to restore the entire machine, I need to restore a lot of files in a particular folder.  This is a simple scenario and 'Vail' should support this. WHS V1 did a great job of this.
    Sang Peiris

Report it to Connect?

A WHS v1 machine in the basement + Vail on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+, 3 GB RAM, a mixed setup of harddrives in and outside the storage pool...
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 12:56 PM
  • I had this issue with WHS 1, the explanation was that whs is rebuilding the files as it's transferring them. 
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 7 drives totaling about 6.5 tbs.
    Friday, August 6, 2010 3:10 AM
  • I have re-installed Vail several times and tried it with different hardware.  The file copy and restore performance is dismal.  This is a definite show stopper.
    Sang Peiris
    Monday, August 16, 2010 12:04 PM
  • I am running the latest version (6.1 build 7601 SP 1, dashboard 6.1.8800.16385).  I decided to restore an entire volume (7.7GB, 47,000 files).  When I did the restore it took nearly 30 minutes to "calculate" the operation.  At this point the "Estimate" for the restore is about 16 hours.  The transfer rate is 52KB/s which is a joke.  Really, a hard disk restore running several orders of magnitude slower than tape?  WHS 2011 box has 4GB RAM (1.5 in use) and two CPUs (CPU load at 1%).  This is really a joke, anyone else have this problem?  Restoring a volume is easiest if you DON'T do a bare metal restore, but I guess I can try that and only choose that single volume.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 4:51 AM