Import Customer Portal solution to a CRM organization with existing customizations RRS feed

• Question

• I've imported the Microsof Customer Portal solution into a CRM organization that has many customizations. The import of the solution succeeded but I now see that the form customizations I made to accounts and contacts have been lost.

Is this to be expected? Should I perhaps package up all my customizations (which are unmanged in the default solution) into an unmanaged solution, export them, then import the portal solution and then import my unmanaged solution?

Its all a bit confusing.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:16 PM

Answers

• If you don't expect to have to roll back client's changes, than unmanaged would be OK however managed would give you ability to roll back in the future. Steps are correct though.

Monday, October 3, 2011 5:39 PM

All replies

• Feridun,

Installing Portal solution (managed) first and then your customizations (managed) on top will allow you to have both in place and ability to roll back changes at any time. If you have customizations to the same fields of the same entity, then your changes will override what's in portal solution.

Saturday, October 1, 2011 12:02 AM
  • Thanks Sergey, that is helpful. What is the recommend practice for a client that already has lots of customizations?  Would it be something like this:

1. Add all customized entities to a solution
    2. Export to an unmanaged solution
    3. Import the Microsoft Portal solution
    4. Import the customer's unmanaged solution

or maybe something else?

Saturday, October 1, 2011 6:13 AM
  • If you don't expect to have to roll back client's changes, than unmanaged would be OK however managed would give you ability to roll back in the future. Steps are correct though.

Monday, October 3, 2011 5:39 PM
  • There are some limitations to the managed solution model.  It does do a good job of just publishing the differences in the form XML, and only the differences in the new fields.  However, if you are upgrading from a CRM 4 organization you may find that it overwrites your javascript files. Also, if you have customized some things like the entity name, you will see that it reverts back to 'contact'.  Views are also not 'differenced', so you will find that it will overwrite those as well.  With the current functionality of the solution model, the best practice is to export the entities that are overlapping with the solution file into an unmanaged solution, import the managed solution, then re-import your unmanaged solution back on top - exactly like you used to do with CRM 4.
    Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Monday, October 17, 2011 11:02 PM
  • Shan, thank you for confirming that.  I have to say the more I learn about solutions the more I'm thinking avoid managed solutions unless I'm trying to sell a product.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:02 AM
  • Your reaction is not unique and there are a lot of people that feel the same way.  That said, in an enterprise dev environment where you have to support a production system while you continue developing on your dev environment, managed solutions are quite useful as well.  However, managed solutions doesn't excuse us from having to learn how the customizataion system works in CRM - we have to understand how CRM imports managed and unmanaged solutions even if we are not using managed solutions.  If you hang in there and learn everything there is to know about managed solutions you will feel more comfortable with the use of managed solutions and be able to idenify when you need to use them.  I recently gave a presentation on solution management at the Extreme CRM conference and the audience rated it very well.  I am going to redeliver that presentation for xrmvirtual soon and record it so that others can benefit from the content.  Sign up on the user group if you don't have an account already.
    Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Thanks for expanding on your initial comments. I'll look out for the xrmvirtual presentation.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:39 PM