Transferring Windows 7 to a new pc RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

So a few months ago I purchased Windows 7 and installed it on my hard drive. About a month after that, I purchased a new 2tb HDD, and installed the same copy of W7 and discarded my old HDD. Every time I logged in to OS it would ask me to 'register' W7... I kept skipping purely because I wasn't sure if/how my copy would transfer over.

Now, I've once again upgraded my PC and am formatting my HDD and planning to do a fresh restart. How can I use my original copy of W7 on my new system?

Thanks

Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:38 AM

Answers

• "spqr9" wrote in message news:d1a0c15e-0212-4897-bbad-3574564012b6...

Hi

So a few months ago I purchased Windows 7 and installed it on my hard drive. About a month after that, I purchased a new 2tb HDD, and installed the same copy of W7 and discarded my old HDD. Every time I logged in to OS it would ask me to 'register' W7... I kept skipping purely because I wasn't sure if/how my copy would transfer over.

Now, I've once again upgraded my PC and am formatting my HDD and planning to do a fresh restart. How can I use my original copy of W7 on my new system?

Thanks

Exactly the same way.
    Registration is voluntary – Activation is mandatory.
    If you meant to say Activation, then you probably installed an Upgrade as a Clean Install – this is not the approved procedure.
    You should reinstall the original OS first (using your manufacturer’s Recovery Disks), and then Upgrade that – this ensures that you have all the software and drivers that your manufacturer intended

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:07 PM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:20 PM
  • A retail full license copy is transferrable. 

A retail upgrade license copy is only transferrable if the copy that was upgraded is also transferrable or the new computer already has a copy of Windows eligible for upgrade.  If you upgraded from a factory installed (OEM) copy or a System Builder (OEM) copy then an upgrade license is not transferrable by itself and cannot be used on a bare computer. 

An OEM System Builder copy is not transferrable.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:49 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• "spqr9" wrote in message news:d1a0c15e-0212-4897-bbad-3574564012b6...

Hi

Thanks

Exactly the same way.
    Registration is voluntary – Activation is mandatory.
    If you meant to say Activation, then you probably installed an Upgrade as a Clean Install – this is not the approved procedure.
    You should reinstall the original OS first (using your manufacturer’s Recovery Disks), and then Upgrade that – this ensures that you have all the software and drivers that your manufacturer intended

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:20 PM
  • A retail full license copy is transferrable. 

A retail upgrade license copy is only transferrable if the copy that was upgraded is also transferrable or the new computer already has a copy of Windows eligible for upgrade.  If you upgraded from a factory installed (OEM) copy or a System Builder (OEM) copy then an upgrade license is not transferrable by itself and cannot be used on a bare computer. 

An OEM System Builder copy is not transferrable.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:49 PM
    Answerer