MCDST or MCSA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I'm looking for a little advice.... do you think it is wise to do MCDST before taking a shot at MCSA, or is it realistically possible to jump streight into MCSA????

Cheers big ears
    Friday, July 10, 2009 1:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

That depends on your experience. If you have never used Windows 2003 in an Active Directory environment I would say you are better off going for your MCDST. If you have been using 2003 for a while you could start with your MCSA.

Thats not to say it couldn't be done, if you have never used 2003. But certifications are meant to showcase your experience in an area. You get certifications after you have been working with the product for awhile. You don't do it the other way around.

Hope this helps.
    Eric
    • Proposed as answer by Brian_Jones Friday, July 10, 2009 3:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Faustina Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:37 PM
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:26 PM
  • I would agree with Eric, although I would add that the qualifications that you are looking at are not for new (although still fairly widespread) technologies. For instance, the MCDST covers Windows XP, which, come October will be two versions behind the current version of Windows.

I would perhaps look at doing MCITP - Enterprise Support which covers XP and Vista, and will be easily upgradeable to Windows 7. Additionally (same link) this will give your your elective towards MCITP - Enterprise Administrator which covers Server 2008 but most of the subjects are backwards compatible to Server 2003 as well.

Again, however, you need to look at what you have experience with and access to, against which qualification will remain relevant for longer.

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 4, MCITP x 2

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please listen to my radio show, by subscribing to the Trancendance Podcast

Friday, July 10, 2009 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

That depends on your experience. If you have never used Windows 2003 in an Active Directory environment I would say you are better off going for your MCDST. If you have been using 2003 for a while you could start with your MCSA.

Thats not to say it couldn't be done, if you have never used 2003. But certifications are meant to showcase your experience in an area. You get certifications after you have been working with the product for awhile. You don't do it the other way around.

Hope this helps.
    Eric
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:26 PM
  • I would agree with Eric, although I would add that the qualifications that you are looking at are not for new (although still fairly widespread) technologies. For instance, the MCDST covers Windows XP, which, come October will be two versions behind the current version of Windows.

I would perhaps look at doing MCITP - Enterprise Support which covers XP and Vista, and will be easily upgradeable to Windows 7. Additionally (same link) this will give your your elective towards MCITP - Enterprise Administrator which covers Server 2008 but most of the subjects are backwards compatible to Server 2003 as well.

Again, however, you need to look at what you have experience with and access to, against which qualification will remain relevant for longer.

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 4, MCITP x 2

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please listen to my radio show, by subscribing to the Trancendance Podcast

Friday, July 10, 2009 3:11 PM