I do not understand what or why this is happening. RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a used Compaq from eBay.  It has a Windows XP Pro COA on the case.  I don't remember for sure now, but it seems I had to put that product code in when I first got the machine.

I've been using this machine for over a year and never had a problem until I tried to install Messenger 2009.  I uninstalled it, reinstalled Messenger 2008 and now suddenly I get locked down on an illegal copy of XP Pro.

What the heck is going on here?
    • Moved by Stephen Holm Friday, April 3, 2009 4:34 PM Appears you are having problems with Windows XP and not Office... Stephen
    Friday, April 3, 2009 4:38 AM

Answers

• Chapwolfe,

We really can't asses what problem you are experiencing unless you run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and present us with the physical results. First you mentioned a refurbisher assured you the OEM licensing was genuine for XP Professional. 

-  Please provide us with whom the Refurbisher is. 
     -  Next clairfy what type of OEM Licensing was provided.  
         -- OEM SLP 
         -- OEM System Builder
     -  Were you provided with the actual Windows XP media?
     -  Were you provided with a Certificate of Authenticity "COA" sticker?

Should you need clairfication on some of the questions above please visit http://www.howtotell.com . Compare what you purchased against what you see here. You mentioned changing out motherboards. This would have voided the End User Licensing Agreement "EULA" for OEM SLP and OEM System Builder. 

Let me provide you with some clairfication regarding OEM SLP and OEM System Builder Windows versions.   

1. OEM-SLP: Computers built by large commercial manufacturers that come with Vista Pre-installed come with two (2) Product Keys; SLP and COA Key.  SLP stands for System Locked Pre-install. OEM manufacturer’s add an OEM identifier string to the system BIOS during manufacturing. Windows verifies this identifier during the boot process. In this way the end user will not be required to activate Windows. The OEM SLP Key is geared to work with the special instructions found on that Manufacturer’s computer hardware.  The Product Key is available on the COA sticker and not installed in the computer. For example all DELL OEM SLP Windows Vista systems use a single product key but the COA sticker on the machine contains the unique COA. The key located on the COA sticker should only be used in limited situations and requires telephone activation. Example should you require to reformate the computer the key from the COA sticker would be used. 

PID format: XXXXX-OEM-XX119XX-XXXXX

1. OEM (System builder/COA): OEM license for XP comes with certain restrictions that make it less flexible, and therefore less expensive, than the retail license for Vista.  A major limitation is that the license is "married" to the computer onto which it is first installed, and the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) states it is not permitted to be moved to any another computer.  One does not "lose their license" for XP if the motherboard becomes defective and has to be replaced.  If the computer owner chooses to use, or because of availability is forced to use, a board that is not a direct or identical replacement, there has to be a mechanism to accommodate these circumstances, and that is why a telephonic activation is authorized. To read your EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then click on the link for the license terms or EULA.

Based on reading your post it appears your computer has a Volume License (VL) edition of Windows XP Professional identified. The installation was done with a now-blocked Volume License Key (VLK).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original product key holder for various reasons such as the product key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired. Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, i.e., more installations of Windows XP Professional using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.  If you are in a corporate environment please ask your systems administrator to logon to the eOpen site (https://eopen.microsoft.com/EN/default.asp) and confirm what your company’s assigned VLK. If you are not in a corporate environment please remove Windows XP Professional immediately. You may submit a piracy report by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/piracy . Also when you failed the WGA validation you are given an opportunity to purchase a WGA Kit which is roughly half the price of what XP originally cost. Also you may contact the manufacturer of your system and request them to send you Recover Media disk. 

Hopefully this will provide you with assistance. 

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, April 3, 2009 9:32 PM
    Friday, April 3, 2009 9:32 PM
  • Hey Chapwolfe,

We appreciate you taking the time and running the MGA Diagnostic Tool. Previously you mentioned changing out the motherboard but didn't mention it was another Compaq. The BIOS would have to be similar to the previous motherboard that is if it were an OEM SLP product key installation.

Currently you Windows XP Professional was installed with a now blocked product key as I previously mentioned. Please see highlighted information below:

WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J
    Windows Product Key Hash: Ro/Y7HENE9CfW7lW+QtlNbYQEE8=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-640-8365391-23464
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro

Basically the key used for installing your Windows XP Professional originally belonged to a major corporation who has requested Microsoft to block the key. There could be many reasons such as the key was leaked. Please use your favorite search engine and see how many hits you get for 3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J. 

Hopefully this will provide you with more insight.

Thank you

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, April 3, 2009 10:28 PM
    Friday, April 3, 2009 10:28 PM

All replies

• Morning Chapwolfe,

Thank you for posting in the OGA Forum :-).  First we need you to run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide us with the actual results back in this thread. Please located the announcement @ the top of the forum Please Run The Microsoft Diagnostic Tool First".  You will find detailed steps for running the MGA Diagnostic Tool and pasting the results back in the thread.

Thank you,

Stephen
    Friday, April 3, 2009 4:33 PM
  • I've checked with the refurbisher that I bought the unit from and he assures me that he has a valid OEM license for XP Pro.  He had run the service pack 1 & 2 updates before he sold the unit to me.  The unit is a Compaq EVO D510 with a valid Microsoft COA on the case.  I had to replace the motherboard about 4 months ago, but there seemed to be no ramifications from that maintenance.  Because it was a refurb, there were no CDs with the unit.

Here's what the diag says:

The product key is a unique identifier assigned by Microsoft only to genuine Windows software. If this key is missing or incorrect, it may indicate the presence of counterfeit software and your computer may be at risk.

The Windows product key installed on this computer is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked. A VLK is typically licensed to organizations that want to use multiple copies of Windows. However, if a VLK is reported as stolen or leaked, it is blocked from passing validation and is not considered genuine.

You or your organization may be a victim of software counterfeiting if:

• You received a computer with a VLK, but you do not have a Volume License Agreement with Microsoft, or
    • Your organization purchased a VLK from a 3rd party but does not have a Volume License Agreement with Microsoft.

If you do have a Volume License Agreement with Microsoft, you believe you are using the appropriate VLK assigned to your organization, and your VLK has not been reported as stolen or lost, contact your system administrator, Large Account Reseller (LAR), or Enterprise Software Advisor (ESA) to report the problem.

Friday, April 3, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Hello Chapwolfe,

Please run the diagnostic program at this link:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Click the Copy button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, April 3, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Chapwolfe,

We really can't asses what problem you are experiencing unless you run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and present us with the physical results. First you mentioned a refurbisher assured you the OEM licensing was genuine for XP Professional. 

-  Please provide us with whom the Refurbisher is. 
     -  Next clairfy what type of OEM Licensing was provided.  
         -- OEM SLP 
         -- OEM System Builder
     -  Were you provided with the actual Windows XP media?
     -  Were you provided with a Certificate of Authenticity "COA" sticker?

Should you need clairfication on some of the questions above please visit http://www.howtotell.com . Compare what you purchased against what you see here. You mentioned changing out motherboards. This would have voided the End User Licensing Agreement "EULA" for OEM SLP and OEM System Builder. 

Let me provide you with some clairfication regarding OEM SLP and OEM System Builder Windows versions.   

1. OEM-SLP: Computers built by large commercial manufacturers that come with Vista Pre-installed come with two (2) Product Keys; SLP and COA Key.  SLP stands for System Locked Pre-install. OEM manufacturer’s add an OEM identifier string to the system BIOS during manufacturing. Windows verifies this identifier during the boot process. In this way the end user will not be required to activate Windows. The OEM SLP Key is geared to work with the special instructions found on that Manufacturer’s computer hardware.  The Product Key is available on the COA sticker and not installed in the computer. For example all DELL OEM SLP Windows Vista systems use a single product key but the COA sticker on the machine contains the unique COA. The key located on the COA sticker should only be used in limited situations and requires telephone activation. Example should you require to reformate the computer the key from the COA sticker would be used. 

PID format: XXXXX-OEM-XX119XX-XXXXX

1. OEM (System builder/COA): OEM license for XP comes with certain restrictions that make it less flexible, and therefore less expensive, than the retail license for Vista.  A major limitation is that the license is "married" to the computer onto which it is first installed, and the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) states it is not permitted to be moved to any another computer.  One does not "lose their license" for XP if the motherboard becomes defective and has to be replaced.  If the computer owner chooses to use, or because of availability is forced to use, a board that is not a direct or identical replacement, there has to be a mechanism to accommodate these circumstances, and that is why a telephonic activation is authorized. To read your EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then click on the link for the license terms or EULA.

Based on reading your post it appears your computer has a Volume License (VL) edition of Windows XP Professional identified. The installation was done with a now-blocked Volume License Key (VLK).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original product key holder for various reasons such as the product key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired. Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, i.e., more installations of Windows XP Professional using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.  If you are in a corporate environment please ask your systems administrator to logon to the eOpen site (https://eopen.microsoft.com/EN/default.asp) and confirm what your company’s assigned VLK. If you are not in a corporate environment please remove Windows XP Professional immediately. You may submit a piracy report by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/piracy . Also when you failed the WGA validation you are given an opportunity to purchase a WGA Kit which is roughly half the price of what XP originally cost. Also you may contact the manufacturer of your system and request them to send you Recover Media disk. 

Hopefully this will provide you with assistance. 

Stephen

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, April 3, 2009 9:32 PM
    Friday, April 3, 2009 9:32 PM
  • Ok, I guess I confused the issue. 

The original motherboard cratered...onboard video went out.  I replaced it with a brand new genuine Compaq motherboard with the same Spares number (indentical part), I just moved the CPU and other components from the bad board to the new.

I guess refurbisher was maybe the wrong term.  Used equipment reseller is probably more correct. 

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    ID: {2497AE57-7252-4201-931F-5C490F6FC03F}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 101 Not Activated
    Microsoft Word 2002 - 101 Not Activated
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_3E121E02-385-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{2497AE57-7252-4201-931F-5C490F6FC03F}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VPK3J</PKey><PID>76487-640-8365391-23464</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1659004503-1993962763-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Model>6027US</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Version>686O2 v3.18</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030528000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>06F13A4F01842052</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{901B0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Word 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>7970D2C59B88D1F</Val><Hash>dRp3+zmrgw1+02ei8UgvC/1vllY=</Hash><Pid>54189-752-6334874-16434</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="1B" Version="10" Result="101"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 674A:Compaq Computer Corporation|10EA9:Compaq Computer Corporation|1FFEA:Compaq Computer Corporation|1FFEA:Hewlett-Packard Company
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Friday, April 3, 2009 10:08 PM
  • Hey Chapwolfe,

We appreciate you taking the time and running the MGA Diagnostic Tool. Previously you mentioned changing out the motherboard but didn't mention it was another Compaq. The BIOS would have to be similar to the previous motherboard that is if it were an OEM SLP product key installation.

Currently you Windows XP Professional was installed with a now blocked product key as I previously mentioned. Please see highlighted information below:

WGA Data-->

Basically the key used for installing your Windows XP Professional originally belonged to a major corporation who has requested Microsoft to block the key. There could be many reasons such as the key was leaked. Please use your favorite search engine and see how many hits you get for 3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J. 

Hopefully this will provide you with more insight.

Thank you

Stephen

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, April 3, 2009 10:28 PM
    Friday, April 3, 2009 10:28 PM
  • Ok, guess "my bad."  I plead ignorance.

My other Compaq came with Win95 and I've upgraded through 98 to XP Home.  I have no desire to defraud MS.

I'll just do the upgrade offer that was presented.

Thanks for your patience.

Chappy
    Friday, April 3, 2009 10:32 PM
  • Chapwolfe,

No worries whatsoever. We are here to help and educate our customers. One really has to be careful when purchasing systems from auctions, online auctions, and other sources. Also you may try and contact Compaq Technical Support and request them to send you the recovery media

Support for HP products (United States only)

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/phone_assist.html#section1

Contact HP 

Worldwide

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Obtaining a Recovery CD or DVD set

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Take care :-)

Stephen

Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:23 AM
  • Chapwolfe,

Also I would recommend for you to file a piracy report by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/piracy . This can help you and importantly countless others. Thank you very much and hope you have a great weekend.

Stephen
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:26 AM
  • Hello Chapwolfe,

As you have been informed by Stephen, your Compaq has a now-blocked Volume Licensing installation of XP Pro on it.  The Volume Licensing Key has only been recently blocked, so your computer should have been "passing" the WGA tests up unitl recently.  Your Windows being flagged as nongenuine has nothing to do with your replacement of a defective motherboard.

The specs for this system posted at the Compaq support site http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00009568&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=94088&lang=en say that this computer came with XP Home preinstalled.  (Some where along the line the installation of XP Home was replaced by a VL edition of XP Pro.)  If you can confirm that the computer still has a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) for XP Home affixed to the case, then there is no need for you to purchase a new Windows XP license as the computer is still licensed to run XP Home.

The best way to put XP Home back onto the computer is to use the Compaq Recovery CDs for this exact make and model.  Contact Compaq customer support to see if they still have spare sets of Recovery CDs to sell; if not, try www.restoredisks.com.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 3:28 AM