Bare metal restore will not load NIC driver RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to do a bare metal restore but for some reason, the restore CD will not load my NIC driver.  I'm runing WHS with Power Pack 3 and have been doing so since WHS first came out.  I have done a full bare metal restore before and am familiar with the procedure.

However, when I try to restore this system (Intel Pentium D 3.40GHz with D-Link DGE-530T Gigabit adapter), the restore does not find drivers for my NIC.  I have formated a thumb drive as either FAT or FAT-32 and copied the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" directory onto this USB stick.  The directory does contain drivers for this NIC card. 

After booting the restore CD and waiting till it finds no driver, I then insert the thumb drive and tell the restore process to SCAN.  I see a message that say "drivers were found for your system", but when I click on OK, I see the message "Loading" in the Network Devices box but it quickly disappears and no NIC drivers are actually loaded and hence I cannot do my restore.

I have tried removing all added hardware (wireless NIC and graphics adapter) from this system with no difference.  I have tried using the restore CD that came with my WHS distribution instead of the upgraded version which came via Power Pack; again no difference.  I have tried creating different directory structures on the thumb drive (drivers under directory name of DRIVERS, drivers in top level directory) again with no difference.

I have went so far as to do a clean install of Windows Home Premium using a new disk drive, installing all necessary drivers and a little bit of software.  Installed WHS connector and did a backup.  Tried to restore this brand new system with exactly the same results as above.

Anybody have any ideas how I can get this to work???

Thanks

Greg ...

Friday, August 26, 2011 4:44 PM

Answers

• That is really strange, particularly for a network card as common as the D-link, which I believe I have used in the past. Are you supplying it with 32-bit drivers - I suspect the answer is yes, but it might be worth downloading the latest version from D-link.

Alternatively you could try a local restore from a client computer - connect the disk you want to restore to (ideally blank) to your client (external USB is fine) and run the ClientRestoreWizard.exe file in the client Windows Home Server directory. That way you don't need to worry about NIC drivers

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Greg Wright Friday, August 26, 2011 8:22 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 4:52 PM

All replies

• That is really strange, particularly for a network card as common as the D-link, which I believe I have used in the past. Are you supplying it with 32-bit drivers - I suspect the answer is yes, but it might be worth downloading the latest version from D-link.

Alternatively you could try a local restore from a client computer - connect the disk you want to restore to (ideally blank) to your client (external USB is fine) and run the ClientRestoreWizard.exe file in the client Windows Home Server directory. That way you don't need to worry about NIC drivers

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Greg Wright Friday, August 26, 2011 8:22 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 4:52 PM
  • Phil, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I'm using 32bit drivers.  This system was originally built as a dual boot 32/64bit system but I reverted it back to a 32bit only quite some time ago (64bit just didn't work for me).  And I was aware that I needed to put the 32bit drivers on my thumb drive. 

I've been to D-Link's website to get newer drivers, but I have the latest drivers already loaded on this system.

I have done a full bare metal restore of this system in the past!

I do have a work-around which allows me do a full restore.  The motherboard is a pretty generic Intel board (D945GTP) with an on-board Intel 10/100 NIC.  That NIC has been disabled in the BIOS, but if I enable it, then the WHS Restore CD sees this NIC and proceeds as normal.  But being a 10/100, the full restore takes much longer than using the D-Link Gigabit NIC.

What I'm trying to figure out is why the restore has stopped working and I'm baffled by it!!

I thought the reason might be the way the drivers were loaded onto the thumb drive.  I've tried formatting the drive both as a FAT and a FAT32 file system, but that seemed to make no difference.  I tried copying the drivers directory exactly as it was when I opened the C:\ drive from the WHS console ("Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" directory) and I've tried just putting all the driver directories at the top level and I've also tried putting the driver directories under a "DRIVERS" directory (as suggested in another post).  All to no avail.

Just trying to figure out why this does not work!

Greg ...

Friday, August 26, 2011 8:22 PM
  • What I did was put together a thumb drive for each client with drivers that I had tested. Once I had that, I no longer cared if a driver update broke restore (which is what I think happened to you).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 1:09 AM
  • Ken, I kind of did something like that.

I completely reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium on a new disk installed in the same system.  I used exactly the same install procedures I had done when I first installed this system.  I had written down exactly what I had done and in which order and repeated it.  Only difference this time was the number of patches installed by windows update.  But drivers installed  were the same as drivers installed when system was first built back in March of this year.

The D-Link driver has not changed in a couple of years.  As for the other drivers on the thumb drive, not sure where WHS restore is picking them up.

Next step is to use the Acronis checkpoint image(s) I took of the system during the initial system build to use as a restore point, then use WHS backup to create a new initial backup and then see what drivers get loaded onto the thumb.

As I said in my previous message, I do have a work-around by enabling the built in NIC (which I've tested), but I just find it strange that something that worked once, now no longer works.  This is really something I've come to expect of Windows.

Thanks

Greg ...

Saturday, August 27, 2011 1:10 PM