microsoft office in other computer RRS feed

• Question

• my computer crashed and I had bought and instaloloed microsoft office through my school. i now have another computer and office is running in trailo version. do i have to buy another copy or is there a way to put the one i bought in my new computer
    • Moved by Michael Harvey-MSFT Monday, January 24, 2011 4:39 PM fitment (From:Microsoft Online Services Customer Portal)
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 8:39 PM

Answers

• Hello oldladyme,

The Office on the new computer is a Trial version that is very commonly installed on brand-new computers by the manufacturer.  It's likely that this is some edition of Office 2010.

If your previously used Office is Office 2007 or earlier, here's what to do:

1.  Uninstall the Office Trial on the computer using the correct MS FixIt utility that matches the Trial version (2010/2007/2003) available for download from this Microsoft KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

2.  After running the FixIt, restart the computer twice.

3.  Now use the genuine Microsoft Office installation discs and Genuine Office Product Key that you bought from your school to install your existing Office on your brand-new computer.

4.  Activate online normally.

5.  Visit Microsoft Update to get all the updates available for your Office installation.

6.  Post back to let us know how you did :-)

If your previously used Office version from your school is Office 2010, you may be able to activate and convert the Trial (aasuming it, too, is Office 2010) to a perpetual licensed installation with your Office product key.  See this article for more info:  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/convert-a-trial-version-of-an-office-2010-suite-or-program-to-a-full-retail-version-HA101886436.aspx

If the Trial conversion does not work, the follow the numbered instructions above to remove the Trial and install your school-purchased Office.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, January 24, 2011 10:27 PM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 6:19 PM

All replies