New WHS Configuration: Which one is best? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Experts,

At present I have an existing WHS Server with following configuration. I plan to upgrade this to new 2011 WHS and need some guidance.

Current Configuration:
    1. HP m9100z machine cabinet (Can accomodate 5 HDDs and 1 DVD+RW)
    2. Gigabyte   GA-M68M-S2P with AMD Athlon-X2 250 processor (Dual Core)
    3. 4GB Corsair RAM
    4. 80GB PATA System Drive (C:)
    5. Two SATA 1TB Hitachi Drives.

I plan to either use same motherboard and cabinet or change it with my HTPC combo   BIOSTAR MCP6P M2+ motherboard and AMD Sempron 140 processor (Single Core). Is this a good choice? Going down from Double core to single core?

I would also like to do RAID 5 configuration with 4 1TB Hitachi HDDs and similar 80GB System Drive on any of the motherboards above.  Are there really advantages of doing RAID 5 and then run WHS on it?

Read this thread here  _http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/b10ad93e-ee98-49aa-b7cc-270ba5dbf511/ but got more confused than ever.

Thanking you in advance.

Monday, August 8, 2011 5:09 PM

Answers

• "CanI install my USB tuner software on my WHS 2011 machine (ArcSoft TotalMedia) and control it remotely to record OTA shows and movies?" - possibly but it certainly is not supported.

"By 80GB of "no use" do you mean in WHS2011 I will not be able to use it as OS drive? - that's correct

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by harshalsk Monday, August 8, 2011 9:22 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 6:33 PM

All replies

• The minimum requirements for WHS2011 are:

System Requirements:

• 1.4 GHz x64 processor.
    • 2 GB RAM
    • At least one 160 GB hard drive.

So your 80Gb disk is no use (even though the OS only allocates 60GB on the first disk). The rest of your hardware looks as though it's OK - the only spec increase would be if you are transcoding video - you will need a Windows 7 Windows Experience Index of 6.0 or higher for best results. As there is no Drive Extender/Duplication in WHS2011, you may feel the need to go down the RAID route.

The thread you quote is for WHS1 so not much use now.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 5:31 PM
  • The minimum requirements for WHS2011 are:

System Requirements:

• 1.4 GHz x64 processor.
    • 2 GB RAM
    • At least one 160 GB hard drive.

So your 80Gb disk is no use (even though the OS only allocates 60GB on the first disk). The rest of your hardware looks as though it's OK - the only spec increase would be if you are transcoding video - you will need a Windows 7 Windows Experience Index of 6.0 or higher for best results. As there is no Drive Extender/Duplication in WHS2011, you may feel the need to go down the RAID route.

The thread you quote is for WHS1 so not much use now.

Yes I do want to use this machine heavily for Video and media stuff. I run Serviio as my favourite media Server on it (with it's Add-in) and it transcodes everything. In this case I guess sticking with dual core might help. Even though Sempron does a good job because in my HTPC I do a lot of video decoding /encoding as well.

My goal is to get rid of my HTPC since the new Logitech Revue with Google TV is preety close to an HTPC functionality ($90 machine) with an excellent Keyboard. Once I figure out which motherboard and combo I use I will be sell rest of the stuff on eBay.

Can I install my USB tuner software on my WHS 2011 machine (ArcSoft TotalMedia) and control it remotely to record OTA shows and movies? (This is an existing functionalitfy from my HTPC I would like to move to WHS2011 machine.) I rarely do it but I would like to move it to server level and consolidate all my media.

By 80GB of "no use" do you mean in WHS2011 I will not be able to use it as OS drive? So do I just put 4 1TBs in raid and also install OS on it? I do have a spare 320GB but it is a SATA drive and all of the above motherboards only have 4 SATA ports.   80GB is a PATA.

Why MS got rid of Duplication?

I can also replace my 80GB HDD with 320 GB

Monday, August 8, 2011 6:18 PM
  • Why MS got rid of Duplication?
    If you are asking about Drive Extender Migrator (DEM) from WHSv1, the short answer has always appeared to me to be that they couldn't find a business case for the investment in time, resources, and expense it would have taken to make it work well.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 6:28 PM
  • "CanI install my USB tuner software on my WHS 2011 machine (ArcSoft TotalMedia) and control it remotely to record OTA shows and movies?" - possibly but it certainly is not supported.

"By 80GB of "no use" do you mean in WHS2011 I will not be able to use it as OS drive? - that's correct

• Marked as answer by harshalsk Monday, August 8, 2011 9:22 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 6:33 PM