activation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i use to have windows xp when i lived with my mom and i moved, bought a new pc with windows vista, didnt like it and i told my stupid brother that and he went and got me a pirated version of xp. i called my mom and got my old code for windows xp and im trying to activate it on my computer so its valid can  anyone help me out here? im looking to activate it. thank you
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:06 AM

Answers

• Hello Richard C Ouillette,

If the "code" (meaning the Product Key) is printed on a Certificate of Authenticity on the old computer, that means it is an OEM installation of XP, and OEM installations of XP are only valid on the computer it came on and is not permitted to be moved to any other computer.

If the "code" (meaning the Product Key) is printed on a yellow label on the CD holder folder that came in a nice pretty retail box, then that is a retail license for Windows that can be moved to another computer.  Have your family member send you the entire box with the CD and folder, then do a clean installation of XP using that CD and Product Key.

BTW, what edition of Vista came with your Vista computer?  If it was Vista Biz or Vista Ult, that's good news, post back to find out why.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:37 PM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:09 AM

All replies

• To help us troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool.  Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post.  Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Hello Richard C Ouillette,

If the "code" (meaning the Product Key) is printed on a Certificate of Authenticity on the old computer, that means it is an OEM installation of XP, and OEM installations of XP are only valid on the computer it came on and is not permitted to be moved to any other computer.

If the "code" (meaning the Product Key) is printed on a yellow label on the CD holder folder that came in a nice pretty retail box, then that is a retail license for Windows that can be moved to another computer.  Have your family member send you the entire box with the CD and folder, then do a clean installation of XP using that CD and Product Key.

BTW, what edition of Vista came with your Vista computer?  If it was Vista Biz or Vista Ult, that's good news, post back to find out why.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:37 PM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:09 AM