Proplems with Toolkit findings RRS feed

• Question

• I have some problems that I can’t seem to find the answer to. I have ordered, installed and am using the WHS 120 Evaluation software with Power Pack 1.  It is installed on a Dell GX280 with 2- 1 TB Hard Drives to back up 1-Vista Media computer and 2 – XP machines (1-XP Pro and 1 – XP Home) The backups and duplication seem to be working fine. The XP Home machine is setup like the Pro with a user name and strong password (Actually the password for all computers and server are the same).  When using the WHSToolkit I receive these strange results.
    1.    The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server (it is the one that came with the CD’s)
    2.    More than one IP address. (as in #3 below, I only have one network adaptor)
    3.    Two or more network adapters are active.
    4.    I also have a shearing problem that I’m not sure if it is related to items above. The XP Home machine can only seem to get to the Shared Photo, Music, Software, Videos. It can get into the public folder but can not change anything even though it has full access. I set up another folder with the name of the computer/user and gave it full access and rebooted both server and client machines and can’t even get into the clients folder from the client.
    5.    I have also setup a sheared Data folder with full access and the XP Home machine can get into the database but when it tries to save something it says “access denied, the file might be write protected”
    Any help here would be much appreciated.

In looking at the settings I see it has upgraded itself to service pack 2

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0
    Monday, August 24, 2009 7:58 PM

Answers

• Here's what I come up with: (didn't think there was any need to put the Physical Address on the web).

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Boss>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : John
            Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
    roller
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : *************
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.26
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
            DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:04:05 A
    M
            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:04:05 P
    M

Yeah, I would say that's only one connection.  I don't know why the toolkit is seeing 2 (you obviously don't).
    • Marked as answer by Kentucky John Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:46 PM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 12:21 AM

All replies

• I have some problems that I can’t seem to find the answer to. I have ordered, installed and am using the WHS 120 Evaluation software with Power Pack 1.  It is installed on a Dell GX280 with 2- 1 TB Hard Drives to back up 1-Vista Media computer and 2 – XP machines (1-XP Pro and 1 – XP Home) The backups and duplication seem to be working fine. The XP Home machine is setup like the Pro with a user name and strong password (Actually the password for all computers and server are the same).  When using the WHSToolkit I receive these strange results.
    1.    The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server (it is the one that came with the CD’s)

That's a known issue.  You can disregard it as long as your server is up-to-date (which, based on the component numbers you provided, yours is).

2.    More than one IP address. (as in #3 below, I only have one network adaptor)
    3.    Two or more network adapters are active.

Is this on the server or the client?  If the server, did you install any applications on the server from the server desktop (which, by the way, is unsupported)?

4.    I also have a shearing problem that I’m not sure if it is related to items above. The XP Home machine can only seem to get to the Shared Photo, Music, Software, Videos. It can get into the public folder but can not change anything even though it has full access. I set up another folder with the name of the computer/user and gave it full access and rebooted both server and client machines and can’t even get into the clients folder from the client.
    5.    I have also setup a sheared Data folder with full access and the XP Home machine can get into the database but when it tries to save something it says “access denied, the file might be write protected”

Is the Guest account on your server enabled?  If so, what happens if you disable it?

Any help here would be much appreciated.

In looking at the settings I see it has upgraded itself to service pack 2

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0

Monday, August 24, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Thanks kariya21 , Disabling the guest account did the trick, now XP Home machine has all the access it should.
    I removed a WHS Backup add on and have lost the items 2 and 3 on the XP Home machine. I still have "More than one IP address" on the XP Pro machine, and that seems to be the only thing wrong. You asked (Is this on the server or the client?  If the server, did you install any applications on the server from the server desktop (which, by the way, is unsupported)? ) I am a little confused; can the toolkit be run on the server and if so - How?
    If you have an answer to my last problem I feel that WHS is the best answer to so many needs that we all have.
    Thanks again I am tickled to have WHS working smoothly. 

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:25 PM
  • Thanks kariya21 , Disabling the guest account did the trick, now XP Home machine has all the access it should.
    I removed a WHS Backup add on and have lost the items 2 and 3 on the XP Home machine. I still have "More than one IP address" on the XP Pro machine, and that seems to be the only thing wrong.

You might have a virtual network adapter installed (for example, a VPN or VM app would do that).  Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections and see how many network adapters show up there.

You asked (Is this on the server or the client?  If the server, did you install any applications on the server from the server desktop (which, by the way, is unsupported)? ) I am a little confused; can the toolkit be run on the server and if so - How?

No, it must be run on a client.  I just didn't know if the multiple IP address warning was referring to your server or your client.

If you have an answer to my last problem I feel that WHS is the best answer to so many needs that we all have.
    Thanks again I am tickled to have WHS working smoothly. 

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Went to the control panel and all that was there is "Local Area Connection" in the device manager under adapters, there is just "Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller".
    Running the toolkit again I see that I once more have two problems:

1. Two or more network adapters are active

If you have more than one network adapter, your computer may try to communicate with Windows Home Server on the wrong network. To fix this, disconnect the extra network adapters and leave the one that connects your home computer to your home server.

Depending on how your network adapter drivers are implemented, you may need to restart your computer after you disconnect the extra network adapters.

2.More than one IP address

If you have more than one network adapter with an IP address, your computer may try to communicate with Windows Home Server on the wrong network. To fix this, disconnect the extra network adapters and leave the one that connects your home computer to your home server.

Stumped! But I think everything is working as it should, do you think this is an issue that I should be concerned about?  John
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:00 PM
  • Went to the control panel and all that was there is "Local Area Connection" in the device manager under adapters, there is just "Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller".
    Running the toolkit again I see that I once more have two problems:

1. Two or more network adapters are active

If you have more than one network adapter, your computer may try to communicate with Windows Home Server on the wrong network. To fix this, disconnect the extra network adapters and leave the one that connects your home computer to your home server.

Depending on how your network adapter drivers are implemented, you may need to restart your computer after you disconnect the extra network adapters.

2.More than one IP address

If you have more than one network adapter with an IP address, your computer may try to communicate with Windows Home Server on the wrong network. To fix this, disconnect the extra network adapters and leave the one that connects your home computer to your home server.

Stumped! But I think everything is working as it should, do you think this is an issue that I should be concerned about?  John
    As long as it's working, probably not.  However, you could try opening a command prompt on that computer and type ipconfig /all in it, then post the results here.  (I'm curious as to why it says you have more than 1 when you apparently don't.)
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:05 AM
  • Here's what I come up with: (didn't think there was any need to put the Physical Address on the web).

Windows IP Configuration

roller
    M
    M

Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:18 PM

Windows IP Configuration

roller
    M
    M

Yeah, I would say that's only one connection.  I don't know why the toolkit is seeing 2 (you obviously don't).
    • Marked as answer by Kentucky John Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:46 PM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 12:21 AM
  • Kaniya21,
    Hope you are still monitoring this thread as the problem with the XP Home machine has come back! I can get to the public folders but not the user folder. The WHS has had no changes to it, unless it updated itself. The XP Home machine did just have an update. I also had a notice that my Vista media center PC had not been backed up for several days, and it now is not able to see the music and photos that are on the server. In fact the vista machine can't see the network any more, bur ALL machines have access to the internet. Ant thoughts on this one? John
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:58 PM