Entering product key at end of trial - Outlook 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Please help! I recently trialled outlook 2007 and my trial is coming to an end. 

I have purchased a CD - mailed to a friend - and am trying to enter the product key he has passed me - but it says invalid key.

As I am away travelling I am unable to reinstall the software directly now with the CD.

Please advise me what I can do - it seems difficult to 'test' the product key to check that it is the correct one.

The one issue I can think of is that I am trialling Microsoft Office Professional 2007 (with Business Contact Manager) whilst I have bought the standard Microsoft Outlook 2007.

Will I have to uninstall my trial and reinstall the basic software.  How shall I do that when I do not have the CD physically present?

I am using Windows 7 on an Acer laptop.

Please advise me - thank you David

• Edited by Bickit Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:24 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:00 AM

Answers

• Hello Bickit,

The error message "the product key you entered is invalid" seen when entering a product key to activate or install a Microsoft product means that the "flavor" of the product key being entered does not match the "flavor" of the product installed.

In your case, you are trying to activate a Trial installation of Office Professional 2007 with a product key for Outlook 2007.  Even though you may only be using that one Outlook program from the full Office suite, nevertheless the product installed is the full Office suite and that suite is not programmed to activate only one component program--it's all or nothing, and it will only activate with the right flavor of product key for Office Professional 2007 (in the case of the downloadable trial, it would want a full retail "flavor" of product key).

Why not have your friend post the contents of the purchased disc on Windows SkyDrive, so you can download it?  Or search for free online services that facilitate the sending to big files, such as:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7SUNA&q=send+large+files&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:02 PM