Help with: This copy of Windows is not genuine / windows activation Error code 0x80070057 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

it's been a few weeks not that my computer went all crazy: I've got a message that the copy of Windows is not genuine (although it came with the machine). When I try to activate it via Control Panel > System, it states that the Windows activation status is: not available, as well as Product Id: not available. I've tried following the steps Windows brought to me but i always came to this dialogue stating:

The following failure occurred while trying to use the product key:

Code: 0x80070057

Description: The parameter is incorrect.

I've tried following the steps on some other forums but no luck still. I would not like to reinstall my Windows and start again.

Could someone help please?

Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:32 AM

Answers

• Please first try recreating Licensing Store.

Recreate the Licensing Store

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories

Right-Click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator - accept the UAC prompt

Run the following commands in the Command Prompt window, using the Enter key at the end of each

net stop sppsvc

(wait until the service has stopped before entering the following lines)

CD %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform

REN tokens.dat tokens.bar

net start sppsvc

slui.exe

After a couple of seconds the Windows Activation dialog will appear.

You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key, or Activation may occur automatically.

If you are asked for your Key, use the one on the COA sticker on the machine's case

Reboot and Post back with a new MGADiag report.

(Note: the Line 'CD %win......\SoftwareProtectionPlatform' is all on one line - it may be broken in the Forum listing)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Friday, April 1, 2016 3:20 PM