Install are telling me product keys are invalid(Grenerated two different keys) RRS feed

• Question

• I got my invite and downloaded the iso and also generated a product key. When I start the install to my machine and it gets to the point where it asks me for the product key I put it in and it comes back as invalid. I thought I might have wrote down the key wrong and double checked and it was right. I even requested another key and that one came back as invalid also. Has anyone had this problem or know how to solve this.

Machine config:

IBM Intellistation 6850 55u

Dual xeon 2.2

1gb rdram ecc

HDD: SCSI/IDE

Thursday, June 7, 2007 4:09 AM

Answers

• Well come to find out that these were RC keys after all now that I have downloaded the RC package the keys show as RC keys on my product keys page. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll be installing the RC build this weekend. And will be back here if I have anymore questions. It looks like it should work this time around.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 11:32 PM

All replies

• Just a thought, (and I may not even be barking up a tree, let alone the right one!).

Perhaps the mythical RC-1 has a different 'code' for product keys and maybe you have an RC-1 product key.

Which may mean ...

Lots of ifs and buts and maybes!!

- D

Thursday, June 7, 2007 12:13 PM
  • Either that or a beta 2 / CTP combination, when did you download the ISO?

Gordon

Thursday, June 7, 2007 12:28 PM
  • Possibly Gordon, but my theory is more exciting

- D

Thursday, June 7, 2007 12:30 PM
  •  I agree, I really do hope you are right.

Gordon

Thursday, June 7, 2007 1:10 PM
  • I downloaded the ISO on the 26th of May and generated the key on the same night The second key I generated a few days later. My first thought after generating the second key and having it be invalid was that it might be a rc key. That would not be what I need at the moment seeing that I haven't been sent the link for the rc download as of yet.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 6:15 PM
  • If you got the iso and 1st key around the end of May it's unlikely to be an RC key, (unfortunately!)

None of us have the RC email yet !!

Not sure why then, an indication may be the build number of the OS you have installed.

I'm not sure what build the CTP is, (I *think* it's 1471), which might indicate that you have the Beta/CTP version you have, (I'm not at home and my box is off so not 100%!).

- D

Thursday, June 7, 2007 8:33 PM
  • For the CTP install, you can proceed with the install without the need to enter the key. WHS will run for 30 (I think) days before the key needs to be entered and activation is required.

Thursday, June 7, 2007 10:43 PM
  • Well come to find out that these were RC keys after all now that I have downloaded the RC package the keys show as RC keys on my product keys page. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll be installing the RC build this weekend. And will be back here if I have anymore questions. It looks like it should work this time around.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 11:32 PM
  • Wow if the CTP is build 1471, you must know something that we don't internally. Smile  (RC is only build 1424) CTP was build 1371.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 1:16 AM
  • You don't need the email to download the software. Login to Connect and instead of going to where you get product keys click on Downloads, and the RC package is there.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 1:17 AM
  • I'm also receiving an invalid product key error - The installation was going OK up to this point - unable to bypass entering the product key so I am stuck!

Requested a second product key - still not accepted!

Any ideas what is going on?

Deleted the partition that the previous OS was installed on, formatted, then did this install...

Saturday, July 7, 2007 2:22 AM
  • Sorry - wrong DVD in!  No wonder...working now!
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 3:23 AM