none
Career advice from SQL DBA Server Professionals

Question

• Greetings All,
    I have recently relocated to NC from NJ where I worked at a university for 13 years. While at the university I was the Microsoft SQL DBA as well as the Web Administrator & User Support where I was in charge of a small set of databases ( less than 300 MB databases ) that were used as the back-end through ODBC to fuel the dynamic (Classic ASP) websites. I have experience with administration as well as writing multiple SELECT statements as well as STORED PROCEDURES to protect the sites from SQL INJECTION, but due to the size and the complexity there was no need to perform more sophisticated process on the servers other than the 3 migrations over the years and the small additions to add functionality. During this time I have also had plenty of experience designing and building ACCESS databases and reports in the department as well. Additionally in 2015 I earned a Masters in Library and Information Science degree.

I plan on becoming an Senior Microsoft SQL DBA as a career goal and I wanted some guidance from those that have already done it to make sure I am on the right track??? At present I am looking for a Junior SQL developer role to gain more experience with TSQL and report writing with SSRS , as well as SSIS AND SSAS if possible. I also am studying for the MCSE: Business Intelligence Certification 70-461. Any feedback this community could provide would be greatly appreciated.???

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:52 PM