Desktop Sharing and the Enterprise user CAL RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

We are looking to deploy OCS 2007 soon.  As I understand it, currently desktop sharing with OCS is only available if you use live meeting with communicator 2007 (as opposed to LCS's use of Netmeeting with the communicator 2005 client).  This I also assume requires enabling the web conferencing component of OCS.

My questions are:

1.  Does every user now need an enterprise cal to be able to use desktop sharing and thus live meeting

2.  If so, how is this enforced?  Is there a place in user configuration where you could only enable live meeting for certian users based on the number of ent user CALs purchased?

3.  I've read that OCS 2007 R2 will have native desktop sharing.  Will this feature require an enterprise cal as well or will this feature fall under the standard CAL.

4.  In a migration scenario, would communicator 2005 clients be able to utilize the live meeting client for desktop sharing?

Thanks in advance for any replies.  I'm really just concerned with upgrading from LCS 2005 where we have 'native' desktop sharing using netmeeting, to OCS 2007 where it seems as though we'll have to pay a lot more money (ent cal) to get the desktop sharing feature we already have basically a standard cal.

Monday, December 8, 2008 5:21 PM

Answers

• Regarding #3, the Desktop Sharing feature is built directly into the R2 client (and is also available via the Communicator Web client) so I don't see how it wouldn't be available to standard CAL users.  I haven't yet seen details on licensing for R2 but the experience is MUCH nicer as it's wrapped into the client and doesn't require initiating a LM session.  So depending on your deployment schedule you may want to keep that in mind.

And for #4, downlevel clients would need to upgrade Live Meeting to the newer 2007 version in order to attend meetings initiated by OCS users.  They don't need to upgrade OC from 2005 to 2007, just Live Meeting.

Monday, December 8, 2008 5:45 PM
  • #1: Under current OCS 2007 licensing, yes they would need an Enterprise CAL for web conferencing. Pretty much anything "conferencing" (web/audio/video) requires an Enterprise CAL.
    #2: You can turn web conferencing on and off at forest level using a Meeting policy and/or enforce it per user.

As Jeff said though, not sure how this changes in R2 and whether desktop sharing is available using a Standard CAL.
    Monday, December 8, 2008 11:15 PM
  •  

Thanks for both your replies.  You were correct in that I'd need an enterprise user cal for desktop sharing in OCS2007.

I have also heard back fom an MS rep that says the native desktop sharing in R2 will ALSO require the enterprise user cal.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:32 PM

All replies

• Regarding #3, the Desktop Sharing feature is built directly into the R2 client (and is also available via the Communicator Web client) so I don't see how it wouldn't be available to standard CAL users.  I haven't yet seen details on licensing for R2 but the experience is MUCH nicer as it's wrapped into the client and doesn't require initiating a LM session.  So depending on your deployment schedule you may want to keep that in mind.

And for #4, downlevel clients would need to upgrade Live Meeting to the newer 2007 version in order to attend meetings initiated by OCS users.  They don't need to upgrade OC from 2005 to 2007, just Live Meeting.

Monday, December 8, 2008 5:45 PM
  • #1: Under current OCS 2007 licensing, yes they would need an Enterprise CAL for web conferencing. Pretty much anything "conferencing" (web/audio/video) requires an Enterprise CAL.
    #2: You can turn web conferencing on and off at forest level using a Meeting policy and/or enforce it per user.

As Jeff said though, not sure how this changes in R2 and whether desktop sharing is available using a Standard CAL.
    Monday, December 8, 2008 11:15 PM
  •  

Thanks for both your replies.  You were correct in that I'd need an enterprise user cal for desktop sharing in OCS2007.

I have also heard back fom an MS rep that says the native desktop sharing in R2 will ALSO require the enterprise user cal.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:32 PM