Backing up portable devices more frequently RRS feed

• Question

• My network has two Vista Ultimate laptops on it that are frequently off my LAN and used all over the place.  Is there a feature/setting on my WHS that will instantly begin backups once connected to my WHS network?

I've got a Robocopy script that I can run as a scheduled task (very powerful feature), but it would also be nice if the laptop backups happened even if not idle.

I set the backup window to a 23 hour time frame... 
    Friday, November 14, 2008 4:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There isn't an automatic setting as such, but you can just 'right-click' the WHS icon and select 'Backup'. A RoboCopy operation whilst powerful, won't be recognised as a Backup by WHS as it won't conform to the database design, or the Single Instance Storage utilised.

If the laptops are connected to the Internet while away, then, by use of something like Hamachi, they can still be part of your home WHS network and backed up. (I have done this for 2 laptops away at school, works fine - just so long as they remember to have them on mains power!).

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 5:26 PM
  • Colin,

I was just curious if WHS could do an immediate automated backup once the client is seen by the WHS box.  Thanks for your help.

I'm now thinking that I will just use Robocopy to backup my fiance's User directory to her WHS home folder network drive I mapped for her.  Vista's Task Scheduler is pretty powerful in that I can select the Robocopy batch file to execute when connected to my home network SSID.  My ultimate reasoning behind this is so my fiance can access her docs regardless of location through the WHS Web Access.

Robocopy “C:\Users\Amy” “J:\Amy Files” /MIR /XA:SH /XD AppData /XJD /R:5 /W:15 /V /NP /TBD /LOG+:Backup.log

I might discard the /TBD and /LOG switch because I'm not sure if they're necessary.  Where will the .log be saved to? 
    • Edited by KarsonVM Friday, November 14, 2008 5:35 PM
    Friday, November 14, 2008 5:34 PM
  • Hi,

If the folders are already set up and you are just overwriting existing files, then the TBD switch could be dropped; however, I would leave it in as if there is any hitch in writing, then with TBD in,  it will just wait, otherwise it will quit.
    The Log file can be saved wherever you want - it can be specified in the script. However it is usually saved in the script folder.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 6:11 PM
  • Hello,
    to start a backup you could create a batch file with following content:
    "%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Home Server\backupengine" -a

and run it as Administrator.
    This should start an automatical backup.

If you start this as a Scheduled task maybe a few minutes after startup, extending the batch like this:
    @echo off
    if not exist
    \\server\software goto end
    "%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Home Server\backupengine" -a
    :end
    or run the batch manually is your choice.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, November 14, 2008 7:30 PM
  • Having a very large backup window can, paradoxically, hamper WHS backup. If the window is extremely large (23 hours, for example) the laptop may repeatedly pick a backup time that, in the end, is during a period when it's not available on your network to back up. However, if your backup window is that large, then I would expect that whenever you power up your laptops, as long as you're in a "new" backup window (i.e. you've passed the time when the window closes then opens back up) they will begin to back up almost immediately. 

At worst, leave the laptop plugged in and turned on overnight every now and then when it's home. Do you have power management properly configured? If so, you should be able to put it in sleep mode, and it will wake automatically during the backup window.

Failing that, I've posted a batch file to force a backup over here.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 14, 2008 7:59 PM
  • I don't think I have power management settings configured correctly.  What are your AC adapter settings so that Vista wakes up for a wireless backup job (not wake on lan).
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 4:25 AM
  • I have a new laptop with a completely vanilla Vista Ultimate x64 installation. It sleeps and wakes just fine. So completely standard settings should be fine.

Please be aware that your laptop must be connected to A/C power; it will not wake to back up if it's on battery.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 5:00 AM