none
SyncToy 2.1 does not copy files when the source is in use RRS feed

• Question

• With previous versions of SyncToy, when I was editing a Word document in the source location, SyncToy would still copy it to the target location if it found a difference. I think it did not copy the temp file for the doc, but it would copy the doc itself.
    Since version 2.1, SyncToy refuses to copy these documents with the error: Cannot read from the source file.

While I like SyncToy in general, I find this a very negative change in behavior.

Are you aware of this change, and do you have any plans to undo it?
    If you have good reasons for this behavior, can you at least provide an option that allows me to choose whether I want it?

It is important for me to be able to copy/sync these files to the target location, and I might have to downgrade or look for a different solution if this is gone for good.

Otherwise thank you for a nice product.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 8:27 PM

Answers

• Hi -

Sorry like Joey mentions - we have had other people complain about this. The reason we disabled this is because we found that when the files are open - different software treat it differently ( Outlook for eg has a 0 byte pst file when open and we would copy this which was dangerous). It seemed like a better solution to at least let users know clearly that we did not pick this file up. The way to handle this would be just to ignore the error and then rely on a subsequent sync to pick this file up.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:19 PM

All replies

• Hi redrocks,

Thanks very much for choosing SyncToy and report your problem. We have noticed similar issues, and began looking into them. Another thread is discussing such issues http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/synctoy/thread/4b93817a-cd5a-46e9-8eca-c6a765b0d3e2 . Please give us more information if your problem is different from that thread.

BTW, Microsoft Office files such as doc files are a little special, that each of them will cache temp changes in another file (the “temp file” you mentioned) when being edited. It is often recommended to close such files before copying them to other place.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:22 AM
  • Hi -

Sorry like Joey mentions - we have had other people complain about this. The reason we disabled this is because we found that when the files are open - different software treat it differently ( Outlook for eg has a 0 byte pst file when open and we would copy this which was dangerous). It seemed like a better solution to at least let users know clearly that we did not pick this file up. The way to handle this would be just to ignore the error and then rely on a subsequent sync to pick this file up.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:19 PM
  • Yes, I'm having the same problem since upgrading to SyncToy 2.1.  It will not echo sync an .mdb database file that is in use.  I want it to sync a snapshot of the file at that moment like version 2.0 did, not stumble with an error, "cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" (not true really, version 2.1 can access, it just doesn't want to).  Subsequent sync's do not do the trick.  I cannot shut the database down just to perform a sync.  Sigh.  Looks like i'll have to revert back to version 2.0. 
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:08 PM
  • Hi redrocks,

Thanks very much for choosing SyncToy and report your problem. We have noticed similar issues, and began looking into them. Another thread is discussing such issues http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/synctoy/thread/4b93817a-cd5a-46e9-8eca-c6a765b0d3e2 . Please give us more information if your problem is different from that thread.

BTW, Microsoft Office files such as doc files are a little special, that each of them will cache temp changes in another file (the “temp file” you mentioned) when being edited. It is often recommended to close such files before copying them to other place.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

It failed to solve my problem, Could you give more explanation on it? What mistakes did I make?
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:30 AM
  • I understand what you are saying but I'd at least like to have the option of allowing this file to be copied even though another process is using this file.  My file is always in use and sometimes I make changes to it so I need my changes copied.
    Friday, November 20, 2015 6:17 PM