CRM 2011: Multi-Tenancy Licensing Question RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question regarding licensing in a multi-tenant situation.  I've read the licensing documentation but I wanted to confirm that my understanding is correct.

Scenario:

1.        Acme Company has a single installation (instance) of Dynamics CRM Server 2011.
    2.        Acme Company deploys 2 (TWO) Organizations (A, B) on their CRM install.
    3.        Acme Company has a single Active Directory Server install, to which both Organizations connect.
    4.        Acme Company creates 2 Active Directory Users (John Jones, Sally Smith).
    5.        Acme Company wants to add BOTH Users (John Jones, Sally Smith) to BOTH Organizations (A, B), so they can manage accounts (create/update/delete) on A and B as needed.

Question:

As I understand, the scenario above requires 1 (ONE) Dynamics CRM Serve 2011 license and 2 (TWO) Full User CALs, is this correct?

Our main concern is ensuring the scenario requires only 2 (TWO) User CALs and NOT 4 (FOUR).

-----------------------------------------------

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:17 PM

Answers

• You are correct in the count.

If you look in the Deployment Manager, you will see that it keeps a total count of unique users. (This is for CRM 2011 but the 4.0 Deployment Manager shows similar information)

1. Open the Deployment Manager.

2. Right-click on Microsoft Dynamics CRM.

3. Click Properties.

4. Click License.

You will see a total count (Full CAL's Required) for that CRM server.  If user John Doe is in 3 different organizations on the same CRM server, he only consumes one CAL.

You will also see here how many Server Licenses are required.

Hope this helps.

Jason Peterson

• Marked as answer by bfc2012 Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:12 AM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:49 PM

All replies

• You are correct in the count.

If you look in the Deployment Manager, you will see that it keeps a total count of unique users. (This is for CRM 2011 but the 4.0 Deployment Manager shows similar information)

1. Open the Deployment Manager.

2. Right-click on Microsoft Dynamics CRM.

3. Click Properties.

4. Click License.

You will see a total count (Full CAL's Required) for that CRM server.  If user John Doe is in 3 different organizations on the same CRM server, he only consumes one CAL.

You will also see here how many Server Licenses are required.

Hope this helps.

Jason Peterson

• Marked as answer by bfc2012 Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:12 AM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:49 PM
  • Thanks very much for the prompt and helpful confirmation.  Appreciate it!
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:13 AM
  • As the reply above specifies, CALS are server specific.

So one user can be added to numerous organisations but only use one CAL

Ben Hosking
    Check out my CRM Blog
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:24 AM