Subscription problems, (product key) RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently installed Windows Live OneCare and I've registered my name and the product key. Under the Actions to Take section when I open the program, it says Urgent, Subscribe to stay protected etc. But when I get to the part where it says to enter the product key, (which I purchased at a store) it says the number has already been registered. My main problem is that I can't subscribe to keep my computer protected if I can't get pass that part.

PS: When I purchased the computer I'm now currently using, a group of technicians had installed Windows Live OneCare for me as part of a service deal. But if that's true, I shouldn't have to register my product key, right? Just my ID and password, which as you can clearly see works fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Monday, November 3, 2008 4:44 PM

Answers

• If OneCare was installed and activated by the store, then you have a subscription using a LiveID they created for you and provided to you (or should have). If, however, OneCare was in trial mode and not activated, then you needed to subscribe using your LiveID and entering the product key. You can only use the key once, though. So, your statement about having done this, but OneCare now showing as being in trial mode, would seem to indicate that you have reinstalled OneCare or have installed to another PC, in which case, you need to use the same LiveID for all subsequent activations.

If you did not activate with the key and you are getting a message about the key being used already, either return the copy of OneCare to the store for an exchange (or the LiveID used to activate by them) or contact support to determine what LiveID your subscription is associated with.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, November 3, 2008 7:50 PM