Windows Activation - License Store Contains Inconsistent Data RRS feed

• Question

• I also had this problem when I booted my laptop up today with the same error code. It starts up and goes as normal to my windows password screen,this is when the problem starts. Soon as it logs in it then comes up with that message and to contact Acer. I have tried starting in safe mode etc  but can't figure it out. Can't get on to the net or anything before this message appears,any ideas??

Thanks
    IJB
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:41 PM

Answers

•  Boloand,

Safe Mode Proceedures

To get into the Windows Vista Safe mode, as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.

Note: With some computers if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the "F8 key", tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the startup menu.

When you receive the "License Store Contains Inconsistent Data" error window, do you see any options (such as "Learn More" or "Resolve Online")? If so, clicking on the option should launch an Internet Browser.  At that point, I suggest (if you bought Vista seperate from the computer) to re-entering the Product Key that came with the Vista DVD or (if your Vista came pre-installed on that computer) entering the COA SLP key (found on the sticker on the side or bottom of your computer). That should force Vista to re-generate it's Licensing Store data.
    To do this, follow the steps below:

1) Click the option that opens a Internet Browser.
    2) A Internet Browser should come up, type: %windir%\system32\cmd.exe in the browser address bar
    3) A window with a black background will come up
    4) Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key
    5) Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer
    6) Click the Next button.
    7) You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok
    8) It will attempt to Activate by the internet and will return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 9)
    9) Return to the window with the black background
    10) Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key
    11) Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button
    12) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone.

NOTE: when you call that number, you will first hear an Automated Voice that will try to Activate Vista for you. If the Atomated Voice gives you an option to talk to a Live Activation Rep, select that option. If not, do not enter any numbers. This should force the Automated Voice to transfer you to a Live Activation Rep. Trying to Activate thru the Automated Voice will not work, in your case, only thru the Live Activation Rep will your Activation be successful.

If there is no Options that will open an internet browser, I would suggest using the RollbackRX or you could create a (no cost) support request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 and see if they can provide any alternatives.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, October 2, 2008 9:04 PM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 1:20 AM
  • Boloand,

Thank you for providing us with feedback. We are glad to hear your system is operational again. Sorry to hear you lost some of your data. Should you need some assistance in the future please visit Windows Help and How To @ http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/default.mspx . Also I would recommend to implement a backup process for prevention. There are many ways you can backup and keep track of your data.  Personally I use an external hard drive and I use a Network Attached Storage (NAS) as well as put things on CD and DVD RW. Some files such as pictures are irreplaceable. 

Again thank you for the feedback.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, October 2, 2008 10:41 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 10:41 PM

All replies

• Hello Boloand,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  This will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Please provide a brief synopsis describing your customer scenario, including any dialogue, error messages, or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

By clicking the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Step 2: Tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows.

1. What edition/version of Windows Vista is titled?

·         Home Basic

·         Home Premium 

·         Business

·         Ultimate

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you for your participation here on the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forums. We look forward to working with you.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    Monday, September 29, 2008 5:09 PM
  •  Boloand,

Safe Mode Proceedures

To get into the Windows Vista Safe mode, as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.

Note: With some computers if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the "F8 key", tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the startup menu.

When you receive the "License Store Contains Inconsistent Data" error window, do you see any options (such as "Learn More" or "Resolve Online")? If so, clicking on the option should launch an Internet Browser.  At that point, I suggest (if you bought Vista seperate from the computer) to re-entering the Product Key that came with the Vista DVD or (if your Vista came pre-installed on that computer) entering the COA SLP key (found on the sticker on the side or bottom of your computer). That should force Vista to re-generate it's Licensing Store data.
    To do this, follow the steps below:

1) Click the option that opens a Internet Browser.
    2) A Internet Browser should come up, type: %windir%\system32\cmd.exe in the browser address bar
    3) A window with a black background will come up
    4) Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key
    5) Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer
    6) Click the Next button.
    7) You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok
    8) It will attempt to Activate by the internet and will return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 9)
    9) Return to the window with the black background
    10) Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key
    11) Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button
    12) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone.

NOTE: when you call that number, you will first hear an Automated Voice that will try to Activate Vista for you. If the Atomated Voice gives you an option to talk to a Live Activation Rep, select that option. If not, do not enter any numbers. This should force the Automated Voice to transfer you to a Live Activation Rep. Trying to Activate thru the Automated Voice will not work, in your case, only thru the Live Activation Rep will your Activation be successful.

If there is no Options that will open an internet browser, I would suggest using the RollbackRX or you could create a (no cost) support request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 and see if they can provide any alternatives.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, October 2, 2008 9:04 PM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 1:20 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I in the end contacted Acer who told who advised me to restore to factory settings which I did. Did lose things but not that important and I got my laptop back now.

Regards

I Boland
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Boloand,

Thank you for providing us with feedback. We are glad to hear your system is operational again. Sorry to hear you lost some of your data. Should you need some assistance in the future please visit Windows Help and How To @ http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/default.mspx . Also I would recommend to implement a backup process for prevention. There are many ways you can backup and keep track of your data.  Personally I use an external hard drive and I use a Network Attached Storage (NAS) as well as put things on CD and DVD RW. Some files such as pictures are irreplaceable. 

Again thank you for the feedback.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, October 2, 2008 10:41 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 10:41 PM