Moving Sync'd folder RRS feed

• Question

• I have a large folder sync'd with Mesh; nearly 100GB. It's on a 500GB drive I want to replace with a 1TB drive. If I swap the drives and move the 100GB folder from one to the other (to the same drive letter and folder structure) how will Mesh be affected?

Will it "know" it's a mesh sync'd folder or will I have to set it to sync again? If the latter, will it actually perform a sync to the other folders it's syncing with (even though none of the files within the 100GB folder have changed in any way).

Thanks in advance,

James
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 4:23 AM

Answers

• I believe the original poster is looking to do an "in place" restore of the original hard drive that is running out of space.  Not move the folder from one drive to a new drive.

I suspect that Live Mesh may get upset if one of its synced drives goes away, or it may try to remove everything from the other synced devices if it sees an 'empty' directory at the sync point.  (I've never tried this, so can't say for sure.)

To do an "in place" upgrade of a drive that contains a live mesh synchronization folder, this is what I would do:

1. Shut down and disable Live Mesh.
    2. In Windows' drive manager, rename the existing drive to a different drive letter.
    3. Install the new drive and use Windows' drive manager to give it the drive letter you are replacing
    4. Copy all your data from the old drive (via it's temporary drive letter) to the new physical drive.  Make sure to copy all hidden/system files.
    5. Restart and re-enable Live Mesh.

Using this procedure, Live Mesh should be none the wiser that you have physically upgraded the drive where the synchronization folder resided.

And, to make life easier, replace the old drive with a Drobo so you can easily grow the physical drive space in the future without having to go through painful copy procedures like this again... :)  (And no, I don't work for Drobo -- just a happy user of their product.)

Saturday, November 15, 2008 2:47 PM

All replies

• I am assuming that the syncing of the folder is P2P - either that or you have somehow gotten an awesome mesh account (and I want one as well!).

My experience: moving files breaks their sync. i.e. they will retain a blue icon, but they will no longer be connected to the mesh, nor will the mesh find them on the local machine when clicking on them in the "Folders" list.

I have not found a way of changing the path that Mesh thinks the sync'ed folder lives at in order to avoid this :(

In fact, the only way to get it to resync is to remove the folder from the device (via the Live Desktop) and then readd it.

From the help, regarding renaming a folder (which is essentially the same):

"This feature is not currently available. If you rename a synchronized folder from a Windows computer, rather than from your Live Desktop, the folder will stop synchronizing with your Live Desktop. "
    • Proposed as answer by nachmore Saturday, November 15, 2008 2:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Monday, November 17, 2008 4:27 PM
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 2:06 PM
  • I believe the original poster is looking to do an "in place" restore of the original hard drive that is running out of space.  Not move the folder from one drive to a new drive.

I suspect that Live Mesh may get upset if one of its synced drives goes away, or it may try to remove everything from the other synced devices if it sees an 'empty' directory at the sync point.  (I've never tried this, so can't say for sure.)

To do an "in place" upgrade of a drive that contains a live mesh synchronization folder, this is what I would do:

1. Shut down and disable Live Mesh.
    2. In Windows' drive manager, rename the existing drive to a different drive letter.
    3. Install the new drive and use Windows' drive manager to give it the drive letter you are replacing
    4. Copy all your data from the old drive (via it's temporary drive letter) to the new physical drive.  Make sure to copy all hidden/system files.
    5. Restart and re-enable Live Mesh.

Using this procedure, Live Mesh should be none the wiser that you have physically upgraded the drive where the synchronization folder resided.

And, to make life easier, replace the old drive with a Drobo so you can easily grow the physical drive space in the future without having to go through painful copy procedures like this again... :)  (And no, I don't work for Drobo -- just a happy user of their product.)

Saturday, November 15, 2008 2:47 PM
  • cwichura, yes I want to replace my drive that's running out of space. Your suggestion sounds like it will work well so I am going to give it a go. Thanks a lot for your help!

Oh, the folder in question is being sync'd via P2P; I don't have a "awesome mesh account" (but would like one as well).

James
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:11 PM
  • JamesMoore said:

cwichura, yes I want to replace my drive that's running out of space. Your suggestion sounds like it will work well so I am going to give it a go. Thanks a lot for your help!

Oh, the folder in question is being sync'd via P2P; I don't have a "awesome mesh account" (but would like one as well).

James

Hi James,

Please let us know how this works out for you.  As cwichura suggests, if the drive letter, etc. stays the same, Live Mesh shouldn't have any trouble - unless any of the metadata on the synced files is changed.  In this case, though, I would think the metadata ought to remain the same.  If you encounter any strange behavior, though, please do let us know.

Thank,

Ben.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 4:27 PM
  • I probably won't get around to swapping the drives until my Xmas break but I'll be sure to check back in and let you know how it went.

James
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:27 PM