home server 2011 will not backup win 8.1pro 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

•  I CAN backup 8.1 pro on 32 bit machines but not the 64bit.  I went out for the hotfix, but Microsoft says it is not tested and not to install it on live system.  Do I just need to wait until Microsoft comes up with a fix for this issue?

The backup show local disk 14.4GB unsuccessful

local disk 0.5 GB unsuccessful

and local disk (c:) 915.7GB unsuccessful. 

an error prevented backup from runningE

Event log:

Backup job 6 on CLEMENTINE did not succeed.  Reason: ClientVssProblem, System.String[]

What can I do to fix this?

jfb

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Regarding the current issue, it may be caused by the UEFI/GPT partitions of the Windows 8.1 machine. Please try this hotfix to see if it could help.

A hotfix is available to add backup support for UEFI-based computers to back up to servers that are running Windows Home Server 2011

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:26 AM
    Friday, November 15, 2013 11:30 AM
  • This is safe to install in a production environment--most of us who have Windows 8 computers have done so.  There really is no alternative if you wish to keep using Windows Home Server 2011 centralized backup with Windows 8. 

In my opinion, Microsoft released this as a "hotfix" because they don't want the obligation of providing official support for it (or for WHS 2011 much longer). However, not to offer something to support Windows 8 would simply be unconscionable, even for Microsoft.  

In my opinion, you should install this even if UEFI turns out not to be your problem, as it is the last patch or update for WHS 2011 we are likely to get.

There is another issue that plagues some WHS 2011 users after an in-place upgrade of Windows 8 x64 to Windows 8.1 x64. Following the upgrade, the 350Mb hidden system partition on the client becomes too full to allow for a volume snapshot to be created, thus the VSS task will not complete, failing client backup.  There is no way I know of to recover from this, short of a complete re-install of Windows 8.1 using Windows 8.1 ISO media and your Windows 8 product key--a scenario not officially supported by Microsoft, but one which you can find instructions for performing if you Bing it.

• Edited by Gary Voth Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Monday, November 18, 2013 4:53 PM
    Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Regarding the current issue, it may be caused by the UEFI/GPT partitions of the Windows 8.1 machine. Please try this hotfix to see if it could help.

A hotfix is available to add backup support for UEFI-based computers to back up to servers that are running Windows Home Server 2011

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:26 AM
    Friday, November 15, 2013 11:30 AM
  • Thank you for the info.  When I get the email from Microsoft for this fix, they say not to install it in a production environment.  That is all I have.  They also suggest backing up the system before applying the fix.  The problem I have is that I need to backup the system.  Dell suggests that I backup using an external hard drive.  Should I just do that until Microsoft gets the fix tested and released?

jfb

Friday, November 15, 2013 5:37 PM
  • This is safe to install in a production environment--most of us who have Windows 8 computers have done so.  There really is no alternative if you wish to keep using Windows Home Server 2011 centralized backup with Windows 8. 

In my opinion, Microsoft released this as a "hotfix" because they don't want the obligation of providing official support for it (or for WHS 2011 much longer). However, not to offer something to support Windows 8 would simply be unconscionable, even for Microsoft.  

In my opinion, you should install this even if UEFI turns out not to be your problem, as it is the last patch or update for WHS 2011 we are likely to get.

There is another issue that plagues some WHS 2011 users after an in-place upgrade of Windows 8 x64 to Windows 8.1 x64. Following the upgrade, the 350Mb hidden system partition on the client becomes too full to allow for a volume snapshot to be created, thus the VSS task will not complete, failing client backup.  There is no way I know of to recover from this, short of a complete re-install of Windows 8.1 using Windows 8.1 ISO media and your Windows 8 product key--a scenario not officially supported by Microsoft, but one which you can find instructions for performing if you Bing it.

• Edited by Gary Voth Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Monday, November 18, 2013 4:53 PM
    Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Thank you so much.  I will try the fix and see what happens.

Jean

jfb

Saturday, November 16, 2013 9:06 PM
  • When I tried to install the hotfix, it comes back and says "this update is not applicable to your computer."  Dell told me that I had a UEFI system.  Is there another fix that I should be installing?

jfb

Saturday, November 16, 2013 9:45 PM
  • When I tried to install the hotfix, it comes back and says "this update is not applicable to your computer."  Dell told me that I had a UEFI system.  Is there another fix that I should be installing?

jfb

You install the hot fix on the server, not the client. After the hotfix is successfully installed you may be prompted to update the connector software on your client. Be sure to do this before attempting a new backup.
    Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Thank you so much.  The backup works now.  It required that all the computers to be updated and restarted, but they work.  I love the home server, I hope that Microsoft doesn't discontinue it. 

Jean

jfb

Monday, November 18, 2013 2:00 AM
  • Thank you so much.  The backup works now.  It required that all the computers to be updated and restarted, but they work.  I love the home server, I hope that Microsoft doesn't discontinue it. 

Jean

jfb

Gotta love happy endings. :-)   Glad it worked for you.

Gary

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:55 PM