WHS Asks for activation (again!) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

since I rebooted my WHS I get a popup asking for activation for WHS. This happens when I try to login.
    The message the system gives me: "This copy of windows must be activated you cannot login...."
    It gives me three options -> [Yes] / [No] / [Cancel].

When I click cancel: the system reboots
    When I click No: It takes me back to the login screen
    When i click yes: It opens a popup which say: "You've already activated your copy" (or something like that)

But when I try to login again it keeps giving me the activation popup over and over again.
    I'm desperate for a solution, please help me.

With kind regards,

Nick
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 8:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Johan,
    also the evaluation copy has a product key, which needs to be entered and needs to be activated within 30 days to grant you the remaining 90 days.
    If you could do without activation, you could install over and over again all 120 days, without ever having to buy the product.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, October 13, 2008 11:07 AM

All replies

• What version of the WHS OS:  trial, OEM, or prebuild (such as an HP MSS?)
    If it's a trial, how long has it been running?  Any hardware changes?  Did you happen to make any changes in the BIOS (notably to system date/time settings?)

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:35 AM
  • I can't think of any changes I've could have made.

I haven't changed some BIOS settings either, so I cant think of anything that could've made this mess..

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:43 PM
  •  cuppie wrote:

What version of the WHS OS:  trial, OEM, or prebuild (such as an HP MSS?)
    If it's a trial, how long has it been running? 

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 12:03 AM
  • Hello

I haw the same problem i did haw my WHS down fore some day and then when i was starting it it says

This copy of windows must be activated you cannot login....

i haw a trail wer and i haw not haw it install for a mothnt yet

/
    johan

Sunday, October 12, 2008 9:33 PM
  • Hello,
    a trial version runs only 30 days, after that time it needs to be activated.
    Without product activation it will stop working as any other non activated Windows version.
    Olaf
    Monday, October 13, 2008 8:50 AM
  • helloj

No my dvd is a 120-day evaluation copy
    i order it from MS

Monday, October 13, 2008 10:57 AM
  • Hi Johan,
    also the evaluation copy has a product key, which needs to be entered and needs to be activated within 30 days to grant you the remaining 90 days.
    If you could do without activation, you could install over and over again all 120 days, without ever having to buy the product.
    Olaf
    Monday, October 13, 2008 11:07 AM
  • Tanks Olaf fore the help
    Monday, October 13, 2008 1:45 PM
  • I am having the same problem and would like to know how to get passed the activation part. I have a key that Microsoft gave me and i dont know where to put it in without reinstalling. if i do have to do a reinstalation will i lose everything on my server?
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:42 PM
  • I am having the same problem and would like to know how to get passed the activation part. I have a key that Microsoft gave me and i dont know where to put it in without reinstalling. if i do have to do a reinstalation will i lose everything on my server?

There should be a place to activate from the WHS Console (I believe it's the Settings button, Resources tab, but it's been a while so I'm not sure).
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:48 PM